none
How to Convert Ms project 2007 professional .mpp to access .mdb compact & Repair save back as MS Project (No .mdb in drop down) RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

We are using MS Project 2007 Professional and do NOT have a drop down for a save as in .mdb

All I want to do is reduce the file size of the schedules. Someone suggested that we do a save as from .mpp to .mdb, do a compact & Repair, and then save back as a data base. However, I don't know what version of MS Project they are using.

Is there a way to save an MS Project 2007 professional file to Microsoft access, do a compact & repair and then save back as a MS Project Professional 2007 .mpp file?

If there is a way what would be the steps?  Is there a converter that would do this?

Thanks

Saturday, August 20, 2011 3:08 PM

Answers

• Hotmail1,

Thanks for the update on what you have done. Before this I never knew if you took our advice or not.

I'm not surprised a consultant suggested Project Server. That seems to be the popular direction for the last several years but in some cases, (e.g. cost, complexity, learning curve, customer, etc.), working with what you have is the best option. Years ago a project I worked on was using Project 4.x (i.e. Project 97). Everything worked fine. Project 98 was released and I was asked if we should switch. My response at the time was, no. Project 98 offered no new features that we needed to complete our project. Newer isn't always better.

It sounds like you are doing everything you can to maintain your files and controlling the bloat. The person who suggested the .mdb option was definitely thinking pre-Project 2007.

The only other thing I can suggest, (and I believe I mentioned this previously), is to use a file reduction technique that preserves the critical history (e.g. cost) and replaces the bulk of completed tasks with one line equivalents. In your case the unique ID could be stored in an extra field to preserve the payment structure. As far as the "historical" look is concerned, archives can supply that info.

John

Saturday, August 20, 2011 5:35 PM
  • Don't forget the first technique for cutting file bloat is a file, Save as. But you will need to be careful about your links doing this. Teh other time Project does file housekeeping is if you do a File, Save immediately after opening a file before doing absolutely anything else so try this first. If you have an auto_open macro, open the project with  the shift key held down to prevent the macro running.

Rod Gill

The one and only Project VBA Book Rod Gill Project Management
    Tuesday, August 23, 2011 1:30 AM

All replies

• Hotmail1,

Good morning. Another busy weekend for you I see.

Starting with Project 2007, Microsoft dropped the option to save Project files in database format directly. The only way I know to get a Project file into database format now is through a very extensive VBA process. But, I could be wrong, there might be an easier way. Maybe someone else will offer a suggestion.

Meanwhile, and I know I've suggested this to you before, have you used the methods available in FAQ 43? I also remember you have a complex linked structure, (unless this post is about a different project file), and I don't remember reading whether you took steps necessary to rebuild the structure.

Finally, what happened to my previous suggestion to get some experienced help to review your file structure and help clean things up? It seems like you have been battling the same issues for some time and since you are still posting, I'm guessing problems remain.

John

Saturday, August 20, 2011 3:20 PM
  • Good morning John

Seems like this project professional 2007 dropped a few very useful options like HTML and .mdb and a few other things people used frequently. Probably a way to move people to server.

We have used and use method 1 and 4 ( 1 file) from faq 43.

Also, we have reduced our external link exposure from one sub project to another when the link is no longer useful 1.e. the tasks have been 100% completed. This has definetly gotten better.

Also, we have had further recent discussions with the client in regards to archiving closed sub projects. They haven't wanted to do this as they tie unique id to payments and like the historical look. 

In regards to professional help.... There were two organizations in our company they have done this before and they did look at what we have and suggested to go onto project server. However, that is a project in and of itself and probably not practical as we move towards implementation.

So.........to reduce our risk we will be archiving sub projects as they are closed (8 will close soon), eliminate the links as we close the files or tasks are closed.There will be 8 sub projects closing very soon and we will take them out of the mix.

They also gave us an option to reduce the file sizes and we are using that and it works. However, someone outside the company also suggested this .mdb method and I wanted to see if this reduced the files sizes even further. 

Anyway, it seems practical to want to reduce the size of files if we can and thus the note.

Thanks

Saturday, August 20, 2011 4:02 PM
  • Hotmail1,

In Project 2007, the option is available to save as an XML file.  The XML file can then be opened in Access.  I too have never heard that this reduces file size and would be interested in knowing the outcome.

Regards,

Gregg D. Richie, PMP, MCTS; Author, Microsoft Project 2010, Microsoft Official Academic Course Series
    Saturday, August 20, 2011 4:37 PM
  • Hotmail1,

Thanks for the update on what you have done. Before this I never knew if you took our advice or not.

I'm not surprised a consultant suggested Project Server. That seems to be the popular direction for the last several years but in some cases, (e.g. cost, complexity, learning curve, customer, etc.), working with what you have is the best option. Years ago a project I worked on was using Project 4.x (i.e. Project 97). Everything worked fine. Project 98 was released and I was asked if we should switch. My response at the time was, no. Project 98 offered no new features that we needed to complete our project. Newer isn't always better.

It sounds like you are doing everything you can to maintain your files and controlling the bloat. The person who suggested the .mdb option was definitely thinking pre-Project 2007.

The only other thing I can suggest, (and I believe I mentioned this previously), is to use a file reduction technique that preserves the critical history (e.g. cost) and replaces the bulk of completed tasks with one line equivalents. In your case the unique ID could be stored in an extra field to preserve the payment structure. As far as the "historical" look is concerned, archives can supply that info.

John

Saturday, August 20, 2011 5:35 PM
  • Don't forget the first technique for cutting file bloat is a file, Save as. But you will need to be careful about your links doing this. Teh other time Project does file housekeeping is if you do a File, Save immediately after opening a file before doing absolutely anything else so try this first. If you have an auto_open macro, open the project with  the shift key held down to prevent the macro running.

Rod Gill

The one and only Project VBA Book Rod Gill Project Management
    Tuesday, August 23, 2011 1:30 AM