none
VM failed to start. Could not initialize.

Question

• Hello,

I'm trying to run VMs on my Windows 10 Pro machine for the first time in Hyper-V. Unfortunately on trying to start a new VM for the first time I receive that it failed to start. Plus VM name could not initialize.

I have removed Hyper-V from Windows, and added the feature again but no change. There is nothing relating to this in the event logs, any suggestions how I start to diagnose the issue would be great. Thank you.

Sunday, April 02, 2017 7:28 PM

All replies

• I'd check the system bios for something similar to virtualization features to see that it's enabled. Might also check the pc manufacturer's site to see if it is hyper-v capable hardware.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Sunday, April 02, 2017 7:47 PM
  • There is nothing mentioned in the bios or user manual. I have looked up the Intel i7 model of CPU on the Intel website and virtualization is supported by it. Any other suggestions to diagnose this? Thanks.

Sunday, April 02, 2017 10:34 PM
  • There is nothing mentioned in the bios or user manual.

Sounds problematic. I'd check with the pc or motherboard maker. Windows does not verify hardware virtualization capability when you add the role.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Sunday, April 02, 2017 10:36 PM
  • Hi Sir,

I'd suggest you check the event log "Microsoft-Windows-Hyper-v-Worker\admin" .

If there is any clue please post it here .

Best Regards,

Elton

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, April 04, 2017 7:05 AM
  • Hi,

Have you assigned the Virtual Machine an enough RAM? This is the only issue I see. Try assigning more RAM. It should work.

/ Karim

Wednesday, April 05, 2017 4:38 PM