Vista The device, \Device\Ide\iaStor0, did not respond within the timeout period. RRS feed

• Question

• I had no installation issues, but while running the system hangs every hour 1-5 times with the following error

The device, \Device\Ide\iaStor0, did not respond within the timeout period.

The System runs on WindowsXP SP2 without problems

The only workaround is to disable the DVD Drive, then no hang happens.

Does anybody know which driver update corrects the problem ?

My Configuration

• Vista Ultimate 32 Bit
    • Asus P5B-E Plus (BIOS Version 504 now)
    • 2 x HDD Samsung 320 GB HD321KJ (SATA-II )
    • DVR Samsung SH-S183A (SATA)
    • DVD Samsung SH-D163A (SATA)
    • Intel Core2 Duo E6600 2,4 GHz
    Saturday, March 17, 2007 8:28 AM

All replies

• additionally the two HDDs use RAID0
    Saturday, March 17, 2007 8:46 AM
  • I have the same issue with Device\Ide\iaStor0 did not respond, similar spec

ASUS P5B deluxe

E6600

Twin 36GB Raptor drives in a RAID0 array

Lite-On SHD-16P1S

Lite-On LH-18A1H

BIOS 1040

Any clues?

Sunday, April 22, 2007 9:05 PM
  • I had the same issue with my Intel D925XEBC2, only the same thing happened in XPSP2 and Vista. Over multiple support emails back and forth with Intel I traced it to a faulty ICH6 based raid controller and verified that by installing an Adaptec sata raid controller and installing vista with no further issues.
    Friday, May 4, 2007 5:01 PM
  • Maxxxxx- that worked for me nice one!
    Saturday, May 12, 2007 2:34 PM
  • This didn't work for me initially, but then I did the same registry edit pointed to in the article for iaStor as well as iaStor(v) and the horrible issue is no 48 hours old with no repeats.

Wednesday, May 16, 2007 8:49 AM
  • There is more pretier solution to this issue, than renaming whole reg key.
    Check this:
    http://derek858.blogspot.com/2009/01/windows-7-intel-sataahci-lockups.html

Simply:
    Go to HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\iaSTOR\Parameters
    Change "LPMDSTATE" to 0 for each "PortX"
    As this issue is caused by "Linked Power Mode" (LPM) this will disable it.

I'm now rebuilding array (Grrrr) I'll see later if it works, I think it will :-)
    Monday, February 8, 2010 7:21 PM
  • I am having this same problem. I tried changing the LPM settings (all of them) to 0 in all of the PortX entries. I thought the problem was fixed, but it just happened again. I checked the registry settings to make sure they had not been reverted. They are all still 0.

Is there anything else that can cause this error? How do I know if the drive itself is maybe going bad?

Tuesday, October 12, 2010 8:29 PM
  • Having this issue as well, athough it only showed up after installing two WD20EARS 2TB drives. Windows 7 x64, motherboard is an Asus P5K-E, boot drive is an Intel X25-M 80GB. Seems to happen at random times, when it does though a reboot does not cure, it hangs, just before the BIOS comes back up, you need to kill the power. I have updated my BIOS to see if this cures it... I was running a fairly own version.
    Tuesday, December 14, 2010 4:38 PM
  • Just to update. The fix for me was a combination of an updated BIOS, and turning off the IAStorDataMgrSvc service. Not sure if it was one or both but the machine is snappy now and does not hang anymore. BTW the driver version I'm using is 9.​6.​0.​1014.
    Tuesday, December 14, 2010 8:48 PM
  • Okay, here is the final anwer, wow, I'm glad I got to the bottom of this...

I can confirm that on any motherboard using the onboard Marvell Yukon 88E8056 will have stability problems unless it is updated to REV 14. You're not crazy. This is the correct fix. Download the following file and from DOS run the included eep.bat file. Enjoy the new stability.

Read install notes below:
    http://www.gigabyte.com/fileupload/FAQ/2372/faq_marvell_eeprom.zip

This 88E8056 firmware update (option ROM 6.60.2.3) will correct the following issues:

* "The device, \Device\Ide\iaStor0, did not respond within the timeout period."
    * CDROM DVD showing up missing.
    * Server service hang.
    * Hard disk activity light staying on.
    * System and hard drive hang.

Flashing the 88E8056.
    * Download the faq_marvell_eeprom.zip file.
    * Uninstall the driver using device manager in windows.
    * Boot into dos.
    * Run the eep.bat file.
    * Boot into windows and install the latest Marvell driver 11.30.1.3.
    * Install the latest Intel storage driver which is currenlty 10.1.0.1008.
    * Optional: If you want to use SSD drives in RAID mode you will need to update the BIOS option rom for the ICH*R series to whatever your mother can support. At least 8.9.0.1023. To do this you may need to have someone make a custom BIOS mod for you.

Reading on the subject:
    http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&id=20080813182205171

Monday, January 3, 2011 10:02 PM
    I can confirm that on any motherboard using the onboard Marvell Yukon 88E8056...

I can confirm, that this issue with \Device\Ide\iaStor0 is not related to Marvell Yukon 88E8056. My motherboard has nothing to do with it, but I'm having this problem. Of course I do have an Intel ICH10R raid controller and my disks are running in RAID-0. OS is Win 7 64bit.

I did try to change registry and it appeared that problem went away. But today, surfing the event log I saw that the same error is logged last night about 20 times during the 45 minute period. After that it seems everything ok. System hasn’t been restarted, neither have I done anything else. So far so good. Now I’m waiting for a next system freeze while searching or a solution to this problem.

Monday, January 17, 2011 9:58 AM
    I can confirm that on any motherboard using the onboard Marvell Yukon 88E8056...

I can confirm, that this issue with \Device\Ide\iaStor0 is not related to Marvell Yukon 88E8056. My motherboard has nothing to do with it, but I'm having this problem. Of course I do have an Intel ICH10R raid controller and my disks are running in RAID-0. OS is Win 7 64bit.

I did try to change registry and it appeared that problem went away. But today, surfing the event log I saw that the same error is logged last night about 20 times during the 45 minute period. After that it seems everything ok. System hasn’t been restarted, neither have I done anything else. So far so good. Now I’m waiting for a next system freeze while searching or a solution to this problem.

What motherboard do you have?
    Saturday, January 22, 2011 3:22 PM
  • Thanks for reply! I got Asus P5P43TD PRO.

Monday, January 24, 2011 8:09 AM

What motherboard do you have?
    I can also confirm that it has nothing to do with Marvel Yukon as well, I have Asus Z68 chipset with Intel lan, and I am having the same problem. 
    Saturday, July 30, 2011 11:51 PM
  • I have the same **** with W7x64 Ultra. Some 5-10 times when using the comp a whole day.
    Takes some 10-20 sec before I can continue again.

It says iaStor0 in event manager also.

I have one Corsair Force SSD 3, 120 GB + 1 WD Black 1TB.

Is there a solution to get rid of this anoying probs?

Tanks / Leffe

EDIT:
    Think I´ve solved it! Updated to Firmware 1.3 on Corsairs Forum. Haven´t had a
    freeze now for 4-days. Always had several a day before.

My Firmware was ver 1.2 before my update.

/ Leffe
    • Edited by Leffe49 Saturday, September 17, 2011 7:24 PM
    Friday, September 2, 2011 9:33 AM
  • I have the same **** with W7x64 Ultra. Some 5-10 times when using the comp a whole day.
    Takes some 10-20 sec before I can continue again.

It says iaStor0 in event manager also.

I have one Corsair Force SSD 3, 120 GB + 1 WD Black 1TB.

Is there a solution to get rid of this anoying probs?

Tanks / Leffe

Corsair Force SSD 3, 120 GB and 2 WD raid0

I updated my intel raid controller and now my system hangs with the hard drive constantly lit up grrrrr

Saturday, September 10, 2011 5:36 AM