Send email to external mail using SendEmail task (or other alternative) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Does anyone know a way to use SCSM to send emails to external users (e.g. gmail). Notifications work, but using the SendEmail 2.0 I can only send to Affected Users in AD. When someone from outside (ex. a person who can't login), we want to communicate with those persons so everyone can see it in the action log.

My idea was to use Orchestrator+Powershell to retrieve SMTP address from the CI being created when a user writes to us, and then update the Affected User field with that adress - and hope SendEmail then works. Does this seem plausible?

Alternative I could make a task launching Outlook instead, but then I'm not sure how to make it default SendAs SCSM workflow mail..

I believe this is a common problem for many, so I'm wondering why I haven't stumbled across a solution for this somewhere : ) 

I'd appreciate your help! Thanks

Monday, December 3, 2012 5:26 PM

All replies

• You can update/modify the smpt address for any user CI in Service Manager, and then you can configure a SMTP virtual server over IIS for external relay purposes,

Hope this Works,

Cheers,

Javo Mejia|Colombia| Blog: http://javomejia.glup.com.co

Wednesday, December 5, 2012 4:06 AM
  • My issue is not that I can't send to external, this works fine. The thing is I need SendEmail (the task from exchange connector 3.0) to be able to send to the external CI. The task can't seem to parse this adress and send to it. it only works for normal AD users. On a side-note i'm not that satisified with sendemail task, alot of flaws and very limited. But right now it seems to be the only solution to use when communicating with the users if you don't want to use the portal. Sometimes I think MS wants to phase out email communication, even though it's rooted in so many companies
    Friday, December 7, 2012 5:37 PM