SCCM 2007 and Visual Studio 2008 RRS feed

• Question

• I have created several packages for installing Visual Studio 2008. These packages, when executed manually from the source directory, have run successfully. The problem is when I deploy the packages using SCCM 2007, they bomb. I am using the setup.exe /unattendfile vs2008.ini command to customize the install. Prior to running the VS2008 task, I run Document Explorer, Web Designer Tools and the appropriate 64-bit prerequisites. The three prerequisite tasks run without any problems. Once the VS2008 task finishes downloading the source files locally, it runs for about 10 seconds then moves on to the next task (VS2008 SP1) which then fails upon execution. The logfiles report that VS 2008 has installed correctly...so I have no clue where to look anymore. I do not wrap the prerequisites into a script (not much of a programmer), I use separate task sequences for each one. When the Visual Studio 2008 install downloads to the local PC, the install starts, then breaks. I have to manually go to the downloaded files in the cache folder and run the command line described above to run the install. The rest of the task sequence breaks and has to be manually continued as well. My initial thoughts were permission related, but when I created a separate task sequence to be executed while I was logged in, it bombed as well.

I have posted this question in other forums as well...more coverage means more possible solutions :)

I am very confused as to why the program will not install with SCCM 2007 but will install manually using the very same command line configured in the task sequence.

Wednesday, November 10, 2010 8:31 PM

Answers

• Jdulongc,  Thanks a bunch for your help, but I will not need to try your solution.  I have finally resolved the installation issue with VS 2008.

My solution:

I deleted the following entries from the Baseline.dat  file located in the Setup folder:

[Complete Component List]

• GFN_MID Windows Installer 3.1....................Windows 7 has higher version; not needed
    • GFN_MID Internet Explorer 6.0.....................Not needed, we run IE 8
    • GFN_MID NET Framework Setup...................Windows 7 has this covered as well
    • GFN_MID PreReq AMD64..............................Installed as part of the task sequence before the actual VS 2008 installation
    • GFN_MID DExplore......................................Installed as part of the task sequence before the actual VS 2008 installation
    • GFN_MID WebDesignerCore.........................Installed as part of the task sequence before the actual VS 2008 installation
    • GFN_MID SSE x64.......................................SQL Express; not needed
    • GFN_MID SSE x86.......................................SQL Express; not needed

I then recreated the package, updated my distribution points and tested using the following command line:

./Setup/setup.exe /q /norestart

Success!!!

Not quite sure why this makes a difference, but it works and I am finally happy.

Thanks to everyone who helped.

Mike

Michael Starks
    • Marked as answer by mstarks67 Wednesday, December 15, 2010 2:59 PM
    Wednesday, December 15, 2010 2:59 PM

All replies

• Why does it break? What's in smsts.log and/or execmgr.log?
    Wednesday, November 10, 2010 10:46 PM
  • Not sure why it breaks.  The logfiles show no error.  My guess is some sort of permission issue, but i cannot find anything.  Once the program has downloaded the package, it runs for a brief period of time, reports success, then downloads the VS SP1 package which subsequently fails because VS is not installed.  As soon as the complete O/S task sequence has finished, I can navigate to the cached package folder (logged in as me - an administrator) for vs2008 and run the command as it is configured in SCCM (setup.exe /unattendfile vs2008.ini) to run the install.  Is there a difference between running the install through SCCM 2007 and running as an admin?

We have UAC turned off if that helps (Windows 7 x64 install)
    Thursday, November 11, 2010 2:05 PM
  • In answer to your last quesiton "Is there a difference between running the install through SCCM 2007 and running as an admin?" there can be... It will run as Local System vs. running as a particular Admin. Not sure if this helps or not...

Since it has been >2w since your last post on this issue, is it still a problem? 

Monday, November 22, 2010 7:29 PM
  • I am still battling this problem.  I am starting to really hate SCCM 2007.  I am not sure what you mean by running as Local System vs. a particular Admin though.

Michael Starks
    Monday, November 22, 2010 7:34 PM
  • hi,

to reproduce SCCM installation behavior try this:

1) Get the local time (through the TIME shell command, for example)

2) Add one minute to this time

3) Run the AT command with this new time.

4) Wait one minute for the command window to appear.

for example:

E:\Documents and Settings>time

The current time is: 16:34:00.96

Enter the new time:

E:\Documents and Settings>at 16:35 /interactive cmd.exe

Added a new job with job ID = 1

then start your setup command line in this command window. You should see the error message if there is one.

Julien

Monday, November 22, 2010 8:01 PM
  • Is it possible to provide command line parameters to enable logging for the VS install? www.appdeploy.com is a great resource when it comes to command lines and unattended setups.
    Monday, November 22, 2010 9:29 PM
  • I am back.  Other duties pulled me away from this project.

I have tried a new approach to get VS2008 to install.  I stripped out the two entries in the baseline.dat file that referenced SQL Express.  To test that the new configuration worked, I ran the setup with the following switches, /q /norestart.  This ran perfectly on the test machine.  I then created a package in SCCM 2007 using the same command line and starting in the ./setup folder.  I made sure that the prerequisites were installed first using a task sequence.  The prerequisites installed correctly.  Visual Studio downloaded correctly.  When the install started, it looked promising, then crashed.  I have checked the log files and found no instance of error!  Everything shows success.  What gives here?  I have tried to install this infernal program using TRANSFORM files, unattended setup, VB script installations, quiet full install, quiet install with customized baseline, etc. with no luck when using SCCM.  When I install the darn thing manually using the same parameters as SCCM, it works every time.  Somebody out there has to have figured out how to automate this to install using SCCM without SQL Express.  If anyone has and idea what I am doing wrong, please let me know.

Mike

Michael Starks
    Tuesday, December 14, 2010 7:18 PM
  • did you check these recomandations?

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee225239.aspx

Tuesday, December 14, 2010 8:07 PM
  • I did...that is why I am requesting assistance here.  That reference site did not help.
    Michael Starks
    Tuesday, December 14, 2010 9:50 PM
  • hi,

to reproduce SCCM installation behavior try this:

1) Get the local time (through the TIME shell command, for example)

2) Add one minute to this time

3) Run the AT command with this new time.

4) Wait one minute for the command window to appear.

for example:

E:\Documents and Settings>time

The current time is: 16:34:00.96

Enter the new time:

E:\Documents and Settings>at 16:35 /interactive cmd.exe

Added a new job with job ID = 1

then start your setup command line in this command window. You should see the error message if there is one.

Julien

Did you try to reproduce SCCM installation behavior in admin mode, by folowing my previous post? what was the result ? it works or not?
    Wednesday, December 15, 2010 10:28 AM
  • Jdulongc,  Thanks a bunch for your help, but I will not need to try your solution.  I have finally resolved the installation issue with VS 2008.

My solution:

I deleted the following entries from the Baseline.dat  file located in the Setup folder:

[Complete Component List]

• GFN_MID Windows Installer 3.1....................Windows 7 has higher version; not needed
    • GFN_MID Internet Explorer 6.0.....................Not needed, we run IE 8
    • GFN_MID NET Framework Setup...................Windows 7 has this covered as well
    • GFN_MID PreReq AMD64..............................Installed as part of the task sequence before the actual VS 2008 installation
    • GFN_MID DExplore......................................Installed as part of the task sequence before the actual VS 2008 installation
    • GFN_MID WebDesignerCore.........................Installed as part of the task sequence before the actual VS 2008 installation
    • GFN_MID SSE x64.......................................SQL Express; not needed
    • GFN_MID SSE x86.......................................SQL Express; not needed

I then recreated the package, updated my distribution points and tested using the following command line:

./Setup/setup.exe /q /norestart

Success!!!

Not quite sure why this makes a difference, but it works and I am finally happy.

Thanks to everyone who helped.

Mike

Michael Starks
    • Marked as answer by mstarks67 Wednesday, December 15, 2010 2:59 PM
    Wednesday, December 15, 2010 2:59 PM