Templates and Add-ins in Word 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am currently using Microsoft Office 2010 32 bit on a Windows 7 professional 64 bit machine. We are still in the deployment phase and I am testing our existing files like macros and templates in Office 2010. Currently Microsoft Word 2003 is being used and a template was created ages ago that appears like a menu next to Help and have options to send a fax, memo, add a signature that were created in VBA.

I have added the template file located under C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Templates\ in Microsoft Word 2010 by going to File --> Options --> Add-ins --> Selected Templates next to Manage on the right hand side --> Go.

The menu item does not appear on Word every time I open the application. How I do get it to work?

Please help!

Thanks.

Wednesday, June 2, 2010 4:26 AM

Answers

• Buttons that were on custom toolbars in Word 2003 will appear under the Add-ins tab in Word 2010. In Word 2010 however, unlike 2007, it is a simple matter to customize the Ribbon so that the macros that were run by the buttons on the custom toolbar can be shown on a new (custom) tab that you can add to the ribbon. To get access to the Customize Ribbon dialog, click on the File menu and then on Customize Ribbon.

For your situation, it might however be better to use the CustomUI Editor to customize the ribbon in a template that will be distributed to users for saving in the Word\Startup folder c:\users\[username]\App Data\Microsoft\Word\Startup.

For that, see the following page of Greg Maxey's website http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Customize_Ribbon.htm

And, for distributing the template, See the article "Distributing macros to other users” at:

http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/MacrosVBA/DistributeMacros.htm

--
    Hope this helps.

Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of my
    services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP, Posted via the NNTP Bridge
    "OfficeLearner" wrote in message news:17ce1147-b44e-4685-a6f9-6b86bb0c235b@communitybridge.codeplex.com...
    Hi,

I am currently using Microsoft Office 2010 32 bit on a Windows 7 professional 64 bit machine. We are still in the deployment phase and I am testing our existing files like macros and templates in Office 2010. Currently Microsoft Word 2003 is being used and a template was created ages ago that appears like a menu next to Help and have options to send a fax, memo, add a signature that were created in VBA.

I have added the template file located under C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Templates\ in Microsoft Word 2010 by going to File --> Options --> Add-ins --> Selected Templates next to Manage on the right hand side --> Go.

The menu item does not appear on Word every time I open the application. How I do get it to work?

Please help!

Thanks.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP dkr[atsymbol]mvps[dot]org
    • Marked as answer by Sally Tang Tuesday, June 8, 2010 2:24 AM
    Wednesday, June 2, 2010 5:42 AM

All replies

• Buttons that were on custom toolbars in Word 2003 will appear under the Add-ins tab in Word 2010. In Word 2010 however, unlike 2007, it is a simple matter to customize the Ribbon so that the macros that were run by the buttons on the custom toolbar can be shown on a new (custom) tab that you can add to the ribbon. To get access to the Customize Ribbon dialog, click on the File menu and then on Customize Ribbon.

For your situation, it might however be better to use the CustomUI Editor to customize the ribbon in a template that will be distributed to users for saving in the Word\Startup folder c:\users\[username]\App Data\Microsoft\Word\Startup.

For that, see the following page of Greg Maxey's website http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Customize_Ribbon.htm

And, for distributing the template, See the article "Distributing macros to other users” at:

http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/MacrosVBA/DistributeMacros.htm

--
    Hope this helps.

Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of my
    services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP, Posted via the NNTP Bridge
    "OfficeLearner" wrote in message news:17ce1147-b44e-4685-a6f9-6b86bb0c235b@communitybridge.codeplex.com...
    Hi,

Please help!

Thanks.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP dkr[atsymbol]mvps[dot]org
    • Marked as answer by Sally Tang Tuesday, June 8, 2010 2:24 AM
    Wednesday, June 2, 2010 5:42 AM
  • Hello,

Even though this is old and there are no responses. I've had to right click the application inside of the installation folder for Office 2010 and run it as an administrator, this was the only way I could get Add-Ins to actually stick in our similar domain environment. 

-Kevin

Friday, January 18, 2013 4:45 PM