locked
Office 2010 and Sharepoint 2003 property length limitation to 256 RRS feed

  • Question

  • We recently upgrade to Office 2010 (from 2003) and we noticed a problem with our Sharepoint 2003 integration. (yes, 2003, long story why we haven't upgraded, but in short: a high customised implementation of Sharepoint).

    We noticed that since the upgrade that whenever we use "Edit in Microsoft Word" on a document in Sharepoint and save the document again to Sharepoint, all sharepoint properties (metadata) of that document get cut off to 256 characters. This only happens for doc files, not for docx files.

    Anybody any idea how to resolve this or encountered the same problem? The metadata in those properties is very important to the workings of our Sharepoint portal so I really need more than 256 chars.

    Tuesday, November 25, 2014 8:33 AM

All replies

  • Your URL is exceeding the limit.  You need to recreate libraries and lists with shorter URLs, or possibly restructure sites, and move content into new libraries, etc... = lots of work, especially with the managed metadata issue

    Look at this KB, it explains the limitation

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/894630/en-us?p=1

    This technet goes into detail about special characters that quickly increase URL length (applies in 2007 too)

    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff919564(v=office.14).aspx

    best of luck


    Stacy Simpkins | MCSE SharePoint | www.sharepointpapa.com


    Sunday, January 18, 2015 6:17 PM
  • For earlier versions of SharePoint, this was a well known issue.  Sometimes, lengthy links can come from non-IT people creating sites, sub-sites and libraries.  As Stacy says, the fix may well end up being manual in that some of the links will have to be shortened.  There are, however, shortcuts for this: -

    1. Begin by using the various ENUM commands in STSADM to get a list of sites.  Identify those with large links and see how far down their site structure goes.  
    2. You can do things such as backing up and restoring sites with different / smaller URLS and renaming subsites.  Removing spaces between words or characters is a good one to aim for as a space will turn in %20 in the URL
    3. Think about using a utility, whether a commercial product's trial / express edition, or a CodePlex product to help restructure your environment.


    Steven Andrews
    SharePoint Business Analyst: LiveNation Entertainment
    Blog: baron72.wordpress.com
    Twitter: Follow @backpackerd00d
    My Wiki Articles: CodePlex Corner Series
    Please remember to mark your question as "answered" if this solves (or helps) your problem.

    Sunday, January 18, 2015 7:07 PM
    Answerer
  • Follow Steven and My advice and here's  powershell to help you

    you just need to verify that you have an e drive or change that, and then change the URL so its your web application

    $file="e:\Prodwebs.txt"

    Get-date | out-file $file append

    Get-spwebapplication http://URLTOYOURWEBAPP | get-spsite -limit all | get-spweb  -limit all  | format-table  url -auto -wrap | out-file $file  -append


    Stacy Simpkins | MCSE SharePoint | www.sharepointpapa.com

    Monday, January 19, 2015 4:58 PM