SCCM 2012 PXE Boot not working RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Guys,

I have setup SCCM 2012 with PXE Boot but its currently not working. Are there any spercific folders that I need to create and share? and are there any perticular security settings that need to be set?

Everytime I try to boot from network I get the following error 'Access Violation Error recieved from TFTP Server'

I currently have the following shares;

REMINST
    SMS_SITE
    SMS_PFH
    SMS_SUIAgent
    Public
    WSUSContent
    WSUSTemp
    UpdateServicePackages

Do I need a foler for example a 'sources' share folder to hold the 'boot' image and os images.

My DHCP is currently configured with the following settings:
    Boot Server Name: 172.16.200.20
    Boot File Name: SMS_PFH\OSD\Boot\i386\boot.wim

Is there any other settings that need to be configured to allow me to use the OS Deployment via PXE?

Any help is welcome.

TPark IT Technician

• Edited by TEPark Monday, November 26, 2012 4:21 PM
    Monday, November 26, 2012 4:18 PM

All replies

• The boot file (67) should point to SMSboot\x86\wdsnbp.com. Also make sure that both boot images (x64 and x86) are deployed to the pxe-enabled DP ("Deploy this boot image from the PXE service point").

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

Monday, November 26, 2012 4:41 PM
  • You should not have to manually configure or set up anything in WDS or on the OS to enable PXE booting.

Note Torsten's suggestions -- although I typically strongly discourage folks from using DHCP scope options in favor of iphelpers.

Also ensure that you have a task sequence deployed and targeted at the system(s) you are trying to PXE boot.

Finally, verify that the WDS is indeed running on the DP and that the Dp is healthy under site status in the console.

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com

Monday, November 26, 2012 4:58 PM
  • Hi

I don't have a SMSBoot share on the server, should I create this and what permisions does it repuire?

The wdsnbp.com file is located at the following location on the following share 'REMINST\Boot\x86\wdsnbp.com' should this work?

I have just noticed I don't have access to the OSD folder is the correct? The user I am logged in as is the SMSAdmin user which is a Domain Admin, I also don't have access to some other folders as well.

The WD Services is installed and running perfectly. I have deployed the x86 and x64 bit boot images, to the DP Server.

Kind Regards

Tom

TPark IT Technician

• Edited by TEPark Monday, November 26, 2012 6:37 PM
    Monday, November 26, 2012 6:04 PM
  • Also make sure that both boot images (x64 and x86) are deployed to the pxe-enabled DP ("Deploy this boot image from the PXE service point").
    Is that option enabled?
    Is the DP pxe-enabled at all?
    The RemoteInstall folder (automatically generated when WDS is installed by ConfigMgr) should contain SMSBoot, SMSImages, SMSTemp and SMSTempBootFiles (amongst other default folders). It's ok if there's no Windows share called "SMSBoot".

Tuesday, November 27, 2012 7:52 AM
  • Hi Guys,

OK I have deployed both of the boot images (x86 and x64).

When I look in the following share \\sccm-001\reminst\SMSBoot\x86 or x64 there are no boot.wim files the directories are boot empty. the same goes for the SMSImages folder.

Anyone got any ideas?

Is there a guide that I have missed, on how to set this up?

Kind Regards

TPark IT Technician

Tuesday, November 27, 2012 7:26 PM
  • distmgr.log and smspxe.log should show details

Tuesday, November 27, 2012 9:25 PM
  • Hi Guys,

I have setup SCCM 2012 with PXE Boot but its currently not working. Are there any spercific folders that I need to create and share? and are there any perticular security settings that need to be set?

Everytime I try to boot from network I get the following error 'Access Violation Error recieved from TFTP Server'

I currently have the following shares;

REMINST
    SMS_SITE
    SMS_PFH
    SMS_SUIAgent
    Public
    WSUSContent
    WSUSTemp
    UpdateServicePackages

Do I need a foler for example a 'sources' share folder to hold the 'boot' image and os images.

My DHCP is currently configured with the following settings:
    Boot Server Name: 172.16.200.20
    Boot File Name: SMS_PFH\OSD\Boot\i386\boot.wim

Is there any other settings that need to be configured to allow me to use the OS Deployment via PXE?

Any help is welcome.

TPark IT Technician

Your install sounds pretty bad, look at what caused PXE to fail to setup correctly rather than trying to piece together missing parts.
    Tuesday, November 27, 2012 10:30 PM
  • Are your boot images set to be available via PXE? This is an extra check box that must be checked on the boot image properties.

In addition to the log files mentioned by Torsten, also check pkgxfer gr.log? 

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com

Wednesday, November 28, 2012 3:53 AM