none
Excel - Cannot paste picture from Windows Photo Viewer RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

Excel version: 16.0.11929.20436 32 bit

Opening a picture in Windows Photo Viewer from local file, right click > Copy, then trying to paste in Excel. Nothing appears in the Paste options, like nothing is copied. Nothing in the Office Clipboard too. Office Clipboard gives error format not supported by Office Clipboard.

Paste in Word works. If I then copy from Word to Excel it works.

Also copy from a browser works.

Any idea how to troubleshoot?

/Kim

Wednesday, February 12, 2020 8:56 AM

Answers

• Hi,

As far as I know, Windows Photo Viewer isn't part of Windows 10, but if you upgraded from Windows 7 or Windows 8.1, you might still have it.

On my Windows 7 test client, I could reproduce what you are encountering. 

Based on my knowledge, it's by design. Office Clipboard doesn't support the image data format from Windows Photo Viewer. 

Word get the data from Windows clipboard when you paste the image from Windows Photo Viewer into Word:

As a workaround, you can right-click the image file and open it with Paint, select the whole image and copy it. You can paste the image date into Excel.

Hope the information was helpful. If you have any updates, feel free to post back to let us know.

Best Regards,

Herb

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Office 2019.

• Marked as answer by FreeSoftDK Friday, February 14, 2020 10:34 AM
    Thursday, February 13, 2020 12:32 PM

All replies

• "Under %USERPROFILE%\appdata\roaming\microsoft\excel

Look for EXCEL15.xlb (or all of them depending on the version of office) file rename it to EXCEL15.xlb.old so it recreates the new file upon opening it next. Or you can delete all the .xlb files in this directory."

Refe->https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/2159388-excel-2016-paste-special-not-working

Wednesday, February 12, 2020 9:04 AM
  • Did not change any thing.
    Wednesday, February 12, 2020 10:55 AM
  • Hi,

As far as I know, Windows Photo Viewer isn't part of Windows 10, but if you upgraded from Windows 7 or Windows 8.1, you might still have it.

On my Windows 7 test client, I could reproduce what you are encountering. 

Based on my knowledge, it's by design. Office Clipboard doesn't support the image data format from Windows Photo Viewer. 

Word get the data from Windows clipboard when you paste the image from Windows Photo Viewer into Word:

As a workaround, you can right-click the image file and open it with Paint, select the whole image and copy it. You can paste the image date into Excel.

Hope the information was helpful. If you have any updates, feel free to post back to let us know.

Best Regards,

Herb

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Office 2019.

• Marked as answer by FreeSoftDK Friday, February 14, 2020 10:34 AM
    Thursday, February 13, 2020 12:32 PM
  • Hi Herb

Thanks!

Found out that the issue is not only with images. Everything I paste in Excel or Word cause them to hang.

User is on Windows Server 2012 R2 Remote Desktop.

Thursday, February 13, 2020 1:39 PM
  • Hi Herb

An update, yes I think it's by design, just strange that we can insert in Word but not Excel.

Regarding my other issue, I have created a new user and it works on that user.

Friday, February 14, 2020 10:36 AM