none
Unable to remove old RTC databases from topology RRS feed

• Question

• Im in the process of removing two central sites from a Lync deployment that contains the following:

3 central sites
    2 of these sites are Lync enterprise 2013 pools
    the 1 remaining site is a Lync 2013 standard edition pool

Central site 1:
    3 x Lync enterprise front end servers (2013)
    RTC database (mirrored with witness) - used to contain the central management store until it was moved to Central Site 3
    MONITORING database (mirrored with witness)
    ARCHIVING database (mirroed with witness)
    PerChat database4 x persistent chat servers

Central site 2:
    3 x Lync enterprise front end servers (2013)
    RTC database (mirrored with witness)
    MONITORING database (mirrored with witness)
    ARCHIVING database (mirroed with witness)

Central site 3:
    1 x standard edition server
    1 x edge server
    RTC database (active with the central management store)

I have successfully removed the front end pools from central sites 1 and 2, but when I go to remove the RTC database, I receieve the following error in the topology builder:

When attempting to remove the mirror RTC database:
    "This SQL Server Store is being used. Remove the dependencies before deleting the store. Affected Services: *blank*"

When attempting to remove the RTC witness database:
    "This SQL Server Store is being used. Remove the dependencies before deleting the store. Affected Services:
    Role 'CentralMgmtStore' on SQL instance 'StandardEditionServer01.contoso.net\rtc'
    Role 'CentralMgmtStore' on SQL instance 'EnterpriseEditionMirrorSQLServer\RTC'

Additionally, when I run Get-CSService, I can see the following:

Identity             : CentralManagementDatabase:StandardEditionServer01.contoso.net
    SqlInstanceName      : rtc
    DependentServiceList : {CentralManagement:StandardEditionServer01.contoso.net}
    ServiceId            : 3-CentralMgmtStore-2
    SiteId               : Site:Central site 3
    PoolFqdn             : StandardEditionServer01.contoso.net
    Version              : 6
    Role                 : CentralManagementDatabase

Identity             : CentralManagementDatabase:EnterpriseEditionMirrorSQLServer.contoso.net
    SqlInstanceName      : RTC
    DependentServiceList : {}
    ServiceId            : 1-CentralMgmtStore-4
    SiteId               : Site:Central Site 1
    PoolFqdn             : EnterpriseEditionMirrorSQLServer.contoso.net
    Version              : 6
    Role                 : CentralManagementDatabase

I have ran Uninstall-CSDatabase and received the following:

Uninstall-CsDatabase -CentralManagementDatabase -SqlServerFqdn EnterpriseEditionPrimarySQLServer.contoso.net -SqlInstanceName RTC

Uninstall Database
    Uninstall databases required by Lync Server role(s). Are you sure you want to proceed?
    [Y] Yes  [A] Yes to All  [N] No  [L] No to All  [S] Suspend  [?] Help (default is "Y"): y
    ****Creating DbSetupInstance for 'Microsoft.Rtc.Common.Data.XdsDatabase'****
    Trying to connect to Sql Server EnterpriseEditionPrimarySQLServer.contoso.net\RTC. using windows authentication...
    Sql version: Major: 11, Minor: 0, Build 3401.
    Sql version is acceptable.
    Dropping database xds.
    WARNING: Database xds does not exist, so cannot be dropped.
    Database created by script "XdsDatabase" does not exist. There is nothing to remove.

****Creating DbSetupInstance for 'Microsoft.Rtc.Common.Data.LisDatabase'****
    Trying to connect to Sql Server EnterpriseEditionPrimarySQLServer.contoso.net\RTC. using windows authentication...
    Dropping database lis.
    WARNING: Database lis does not exist, so cannot be dropped.
    Database created by script "LisDatabase" does not exist. There is nothing to remove.

WARNING: "Uninstall-CsDatabase" processing has completed with warnings. "2" warnings were recorded during this run.
    WARNING: Detailed results can be found at

Uninstall-CsDatabase -CentralManagementDatabase -SqlServerFqdn EnterpriseEditionMirrorSQLServer.contoso.net -SqlInstanceName RTC

Uninstall Database
    Uninstall databases required by Lync Server role(s). Are you sure you want to proceed?
    [Y] Yes  [A] Yes to All  [N] No  [L] No to All  [S] Suspend  [?] Help (default is "Y"): y
    ****Creating DbSetupInstance for 'Microsoft.Rtc.Common.Data.XdsDatabase'****
    Trying to connect to Sql Server EnterpriseEditionMirrorSQLServer.contoso.net\RTC. using windows authentication...
    Dropping database xds.
    WARNING: Database xds does not exist, so cannot be dropped.
    Database created by script "XdsDatabase" does not exist. There is nothing to remove.

****Creating DbSetupInstance for 'Microsoft.Rtc.Common.Data.LisDatabase'****
    Trying to connect to Sql Server EnterpriseEditionMirrorSQLServer.contoso.net\RTC. using windows authentication...
    Dropping database lis.
    WARNING: Database lis does not exist, so cannot be dropped.
    Database created by script "LisDatabase" does not exist. There is nothing to remove.

WARNING: "Uninstall-CsDatabase" processing has completed with warnings. "2" warnings were recorded during this run.
    WARNING: Detailed results can be found at

How can I safely remove these databases from the topology builder without affecting the live production standard edition environment?

Tuesday, August 4, 2015 1:41 AM

Answers

• Hi

That sounds like a sensible idea. Make sure that when you move the CMS, it is the last task you do. i.e no users, data, conferencing, rgs services etc are located on the old pool. No so bad if you're moving between the same edition ie 2013 => 2013 but if you were going up a version to say 2013 => SfB then this would cause you pain as the db would get upgraded in the process and become unusable for legacy dependent services. In this case you'd end up having to restore from legacy backup.

You can test if the CMS moved OK afterwards using the Get-CsService -CentralManagementDatabase command

If you experience any issues with the move, assume the move has not happened, debug the errors and re-attempt. Only in a clean move will you be able to successfully decommission the old instance.

thanks

Note: Please remember to `Mark as Answered` a post that answers your question and/or `Vote as Helpful` posts that have helped you. This will help others find answers to similar problems. For more Skype for Business help visit: http://www.skype4b.uk Please note that answers are based on my experience and opinion only and do not necessarily represent the views of my employer.

Monday, August 17, 2015 8:10 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Before remove the database for Enterprise Edition pool, check if there is any associate option for Standard Edition with the database for Enterprise pool, if have, unclick it and then publish topology, then test the issue again.

Please double check if remove or move the conference directory on the Enterprise Pool, then you can remove the database.

Best Regards,
    Eason Huang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Eason Huang
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, August 4, 2015 6:23 AM
  • Eason,

I've gone through the topology builder and can confirm that there are no associate options in my Standard Edition pool for EnterprisePoolMirrorSQL\RTC

I can also confirm too that the only conference directory that exists is in the Standard Edition pool:

Get-CsConferenceDirectory

Identity             : 5
    ServiceId            : UserServer:StandardEditionServer01.contoso.net
    TargetServerIfMoving :
    Id                   : 5
    Fingerprint          : 12b57843-ae53-4d98-9233-26835447ddb3
    Element              : <ConferenceDirectory Id="5" Fingerprint="12b57843-ae53-4d98-9233-26835447ddb3"
                           xmlns="urn:schema:Microsoft.Rtc.Management.Settings.PstnConf.2008">
                             <ServiceId xmlns="urn:schema:Microsoft.Rtc.Management.Deploy.Topology.2008" SiteId="3"
                           RoleName="UserServices" Instance="1" />
                             <UpaSeparator xmlns="urn:schema:Microsoft.Rtc.Management.BaseTypes.2008"></UpaSeparator>
                           </ConferenceDirectory>

Wednesday, August 5, 2015 4:19 AM
  • Hi

Can you confirm the databases are on the primary and mirrored SQL server using SQL management studio? Are the databases active on the primary? Please try to remove the mirror first before uninstalling the databases

thanks

Note: Please remember to `Mark as Answered` a post that answers your question and/or `Vote as Helpful` posts that have helped you. This will help others find answers to similar problems. For more Skype for Business help visit: http://www.skype4b.uk Please note that answers are based on my experience and opinion only and do not necessarily represent the views of my employer.

Wednesday, August 5, 2015 8:50 AM
  • Mark,

Thanks for the reply.

I can confirm that the databases were mirrored, but are no longer configured in a mirror.

I believe that this issue is being caused by the central management store move. I was not the technician who performed the move and understand that the person who did it experienced a number of issues doing so.

My plan of attack with this one is to wait until I've built the new pool, then migrate the CMS to that pool and remove the standard edition pool. I believe this process will allow me to remove the redundant database entries in the topology builder.

Monday, August 17, 2015 4:25 AM
  • Hi

That sounds like a sensible idea. Make sure that when you move the CMS, it is the last task you do. i.e no users, data, conferencing, rgs services etc are located on the old pool. No so bad if you're moving between the same edition ie 2013 => 2013 but if you were going up a version to say 2013 => SfB then this would cause you pain as the db would get upgraded in the process and become unusable for legacy dependent services. In this case you'd end up having to restore from legacy backup.

You can test if the CMS moved OK afterwards using the Get-CsService -CentralManagementDatabase command

If you experience any issues with the move, assume the move has not happened, debug the errors and re-attempt. Only in a clean move will you be able to successfully decommission the old instance.

thanks

Monday, August 17, 2015 8:10 AM
  • Hi

I have Same issue.I Remove old servers previous uninstall centeral management server on mirror database and i get same error.
    do you solve this issue?

can you help me?

when i use Get-CsService -CentralManagementDatabase command , i see old centeral management store on lync BE2  and  skype BE.

Identity             : CentralManagementDatabase:x-skyp-be1.domain.com
    SqlInstanceName      : MS_CS
    DependentServiceList : {CentralManagement:x-CSP.domain.com}
    ServiceId            : 1-CentralMgmtStore-1
    SiteId               : Site:x Site
    PoolFqdn             : x-skyp-be1.domain.com
    Version              : 8
    Role                 : CentralManagementDatabase

Identity             : CentralManagementDatabase:x-Lync-BE2.domain.com
    SqlInstanceName      : MS_CS
    DependentServiceList : {}
    ServiceId            : 1-CentralMgmtStore-11
    SiteId               : Site:x Site
    PoolFqdn             : x-Lync-BE2.domain.com
    Version              : 6
    Role                 : CentralManagementDatabase

Wednesday, April 17, 2019 3:17 AM
  • Were you able to get this resolved?  I'm having the exact same issue where the old Central Management database is still showing up with the command:

Get-CSService -CentralManagementDatabase

Gus

Wednesday, October 16, 2019 1:33 PM