USB network driver not recognised RRS feed

• Question

• Hi I am a  total non tech head so this question might seem dumb but here goes!!  My system was connecting and kept dropping out after short periods of time - driving me mental!!  My ISP told me my network driver must be the problem (after buying new modem, total computer service, all drivers updated etc etc).  So I bought a new network driver and its a tiny USB but (supposedly) does what I need it to do EXCEPT when I popped it into the usb slot nothing happens (that I can see anyway).

My computer doesn't seem to recognise it and I have tried to set up a new internet connection using it but it doesn't work.  If anyone can help a dummy like me I sure would appreciate it.

Regards,

Denise.m1

Friday, August 23, 2013 4:12 AM

Answers

• Have you checked with Hardware vendor? Ideally it should auto-run or start after clicking some files after you plug the device.

Arnav Sharma | Facebook | Twitter Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Saturday, August 24, 2013 1:58 PM
  • You do not provide enough information about you hardware, including the mode, for anyone to be able to suggest remedies.  Remember, you are posting in an internet forum and you must provide all the pertinent information for evaluation of the situation.  No one in an internet forum has the least idea what hardware and software you have and trying to guess is not the right approach.

Please read the information posted @ http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375 on how to ask for help.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Saturday, August 24, 2013 3:21 PM
  • Internet connection problems are great many, Windows operating system automatically detects and corrects few of problems, but your computer has new modem etc. we would talk about undetected USB drive, Windows XP doesn't needs extra drivers for USB drives (even a TATA DOCOMO 3G modem I connected using Windows XP, which detected 3G modem, installed automatic dialling software, entered registry keys etc., installed drivers and went online), I couldn't know your need of a USB drive connecting a modem to web, I used 56kbps modem from landline telephone connection (Windows 98SE), 512kbps DSL modem direct landline telephone connection (Windows 98SE (improved), Windows Vista, Windows 7) and now TATA DOCOMO 3G modem (Windows 7, Windows 8) these modems doesn't need a USB drive for web connection. All modems needs a dialler either manual or automatic, install modem following standard procedure, uninstall earlier modem from control panel's Device Manager, install new modem using software/driver CD of modem, configure all modem properties carefully (it needs a connect string etc.), check whether it successfully runs on operating system, if all goes well connect to internet. For USB drive if all connections in cabinet are working, try all USB connection sockets of cabinet, computer should detect USB at few of these sockets, don't stop at not detecting USB socket. If all fails detecting USB drive, install USB detection drivers of it's company for Windows XP SP3, check whether you need Microsoft .NET installation, your USB drive would be detected.
    Saturday, August 24, 2013 2:46 PM

All replies

• Have you checked with Hardware vendor? Ideally it should auto-run or start after clicking some files after you plug the device.

Arnav Sharma | Facebook | Twitter Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Saturday, August 24, 2013 1:58 PM
  • Internet connection problems are great many, Windows operating system automatically detects and corrects few of problems, but your computer has new modem etc. we would talk about undetected USB drive, Windows XP doesn't needs extra drivers for USB drives (even a TATA DOCOMO 3G modem I connected using Windows XP, which detected 3G modem, installed automatic dialling software, entered registry keys etc., installed drivers and went online), I couldn't know your need of a USB drive connecting a modem to web, I used 56kbps modem from landline telephone connection (Windows 98SE), 512kbps DSL modem direct landline telephone connection (Windows 98SE (improved), Windows Vista, Windows 7) and now TATA DOCOMO 3G modem (Windows 7, Windows 8) these modems doesn't need a USB drive for web connection. All modems needs a dialler either manual or automatic, install modem following standard procedure, uninstall earlier modem from control panel's Device Manager, install new modem using software/driver CD of modem, configure all modem properties carefully (it needs a connect string etc.), check whether it successfully runs on operating system, if all goes well connect to internet. For USB drive if all connections in cabinet are working, try all USB connection sockets of cabinet, computer should detect USB at few of these sockets, don't stop at not detecting USB socket. If all fails detecting USB drive, install USB detection drivers of it's company for Windows XP SP3, check whether you need Microsoft .NET installation, your USB drive would be detected.
    Saturday, August 24, 2013 2:46 PM
  • You do not provide enough information about you hardware, including the mode, for anyone to be able to suggest remedies.  Remember, you are posting in an internet forum and you must provide all the pertinent information for evaluation of the situation.  No one in an internet forum has the least idea what hardware and software you have and trying to guess is not the right approach.

Please read the information posted @ http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375 on how to ask for help.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Saturday, August 24, 2013 3:21 PM
  • As this thread has been quiet for a while, we assume that the issue has been resolved. At this time, we will mark it as ‘Answered’ as the previous steps should be helpful for many similar scenarios.

If the issue still persists and you want to return to this question, please reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up. You can also choose to unmark the answer as you wish.

In addition, we’d love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems.

Thanks!

Monday, September 9, 2013 5:08 AM