NETWORK CENTER ISSUE RRS feed

• Question

• FRONTIER TECH CAME AND INSTALLED NEW 12MBS dsl (WAS 3MBS)  AND NEW WIRELESS ROUTER...I'M RUNNING WINDOWS 7 HOME PREMIUM AND AM HARD WIRED VIA ETHERNET CORD TO MY DELL PC AND TO MY DISHNET RECEIVER...I'M CONNECTED TO MY PLAYSTATION USING THE WIRELESS FUNCTION...EVERYTHING IS WORKING GREAT..EXCEPT WHEN I CLICK ON THE ICON ON THE TASK BAR AND THE NETWORK AND SHARING BOX POPS UP MY WIRELESS NETWORK NAME (FRONTIER8440) HAS A RED X BESIDE OF IT..WITH THE OLD WIRELESS ROUTER AND SETUP, I HAD A SIGNAL STRENGTH "METER" BESIDE OF MY NETWORK NAME..USUALLY WITH 5 BARS...I TOOK A SCREEN SHOT OF WHAT IS IN THE BOX NOW:

I HAD MY NEIGHBOR CONNECT TO NET WITH HIS PHONE USING MY WI-FI. I ALSO COULD USE MY WI-FI WITH MY PHONE...SHOULD I TRY TO FIX THE RED X  EVEN THO EVERYTHING IS WORKING?? THE FRONTIER TECH HELP SAID THEY DIDN'T KNOW WHY THE "STRENGTH METER" IS NOT BESIDE MY NETWORK NAME LIKE IT USED TO BE, NOR WHY THE STATEMENT ABOUT SETTINGS POPS UP..NOR HOW OR IF IT NEEDS FIXED..THEY SAID I COULD BUY PREMIUM TECH SUPPORT TO SEE IF THEY COULD FIX IT. ALSO.... WHEN YOU CLICK ON THE "CONNECT" BUTTON(WHICH IS GREYED OUT)

NOTHING HAPPENS...I ASSUME BECAUSE I'M CONNECTED TO THE MODEM BY HARD WIRE OR ETHERNET CORD....WHEN YOU OPEN THE NETWORK AND SHARING CENTER YOU GET THIS:

pharmerbill

Sunday, August 21, 2016 6:13 PM

Answers

• Hi, thanks for replying...I had put a bunch of stuff in the original question, but my main question is: why is the red x there now??? is it because the network is set so you have to type in the share key or security key (or password) to connect now??? If so, that's OK with me...EVERYTHING WORKS with the way it is now..wireless to playstation, hard wired to my Desk top pc(I prefer ethernet cord for my pc anyway) and ethernet cord to my dishnet receiver...and you can connect devices like phones and tablets to my wireless wi-fi...So, everything is working like I want it to.

thanks

pharmerbill

• Proposed as answer by Tony_Tao Friday, August 26, 2016 6:16 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by pharmerbill Friday, August 26, 2016 4:23 PM
    • Marked as answer by pharmerbill Friday, August 26, 2016 4:24 PM
    Monday, August 22, 2016 5:06 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I noticed the error message. This issue usually occurs on wireless network connections. I suggest that you turn off any security feature of wireless. Please click Start->Control Panel, double-click Network Connections, right click on the wireless adapter and select Properties. From there choose Wireless Networks, click on your wireless network name and choose properties. Under Network Authentication choose Open to turn off the wireless security. Please try to connect.

If the issue persists, I suggest that you delete the connection, and recreate the wireless network connections.

If the issue persists, I suggest that you reinstall the wireless adapter driver, and re-create the connection again.

Remove the adapter driver

========================

1. Click Start. In the Start Search box type "devmgmt.msc" and press Enter.

2. Expand "Network Adapters", double-click on the entry of the wireless network device.

3. Click the tab "Driver", click "Uninstall".

4. Click Start. In the Start Search box type "appwiz.cpl" and press Enter.

5. Remove the entries related to the wireless network adapter.

Then reinstall the driver with your driver CD. After installing, re-create the connection. 

Also check this link for reference.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/10741/windows-10-fix-network-connection-issues

Best Regards,

Tao

Please remember to <b>mark the replies as an answers</b> if they help and <b> unmark</b> them if they provide no help.<br/> If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact <a href="mailto:tnmff@microsoft.com"> tnmff@microsoft.com</a>.

Monday, August 22, 2016 9:25 AM
  • Hi, thanks for replying...I had put a bunch of stuff in the original question, but my main question is: why is the red x there now??? is it because the network is set so you have to type in the share key or security key (or password) to connect now??? If so, that's OK with me...EVERYTHING WORKS with the way it is now..wireless to playstation, hard wired to my Desk top pc(I prefer ethernet cord for my pc anyway) and ethernet cord to my dishnet receiver...and you can connect devices like phones and tablets to my wireless wi-fi...So, everything is working like I want it to.

thanks

pharmerbill

• Unproposed as answer by pharmerbill Friday, August 26, 2016 4:23 PM
    • Marked as answer by pharmerbill Friday, August 26, 2016 4:24 PM
    Monday, August 22, 2016 5:06 PM
  • Yes, I think you are right.

Please remember to <b>mark the replies as an answers</b> if they help and <b> unmark</b> them if they provide no help.<br/> If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact <a href="mailto:tnmff@microsoft.com"> tnmff@microsoft.com</a>.

Tuesday, August 23, 2016 1:15 AM
  • Hi,

We haven’t heard from you for a couple of days, we are looking forward to your good news.

Best Regards,

Tao

Friday, August 26, 2016 6:16 AM