Renaming domain controller RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Greetings!

I am using single domain controller with server 2008 r2..i want to change domain name as mentioned below.

From (Current name) DC.xxx.com To (New name) DC.yyy.com.

Also let me know whether this will affect for user client login and do i need to take users and group,dns backup?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Monday, January 11, 2016 12:57 PM

Answers

• Hi

The domain rename operation is not supported in Microsoft Exchange Server already configured on domain.If you don't have Exchange,you should check the article for "How Domain Rename Works"

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc738208%28v=ws.10%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees,and confers no rights. Best regards Burak Uğur

• Proposed as answer by Mike Crowley Monday, January 11, 2016 7:05 PM
    • Marked as answer by Mahdi Tehrani Thursday, January 21, 2016 4:11 AM
    Monday, January 11, 2016 1:13 PM
  • Hi RAMAIAH,

You can use this procedure to rename a domain controller by using the Netdom command-line tool.

The Netdom command updates the Service Principal Name (SPN) attributes in Active Directory Domain Services (AD DS) for the computer account. This command also registers Domain Name System (DNS) resource records for the new computer name. The SPN value of the computer account must be replicated to all domain controllers in the domain, and the DNS resource records for the new computer name must be distributed to all the authoritative DNS servers for the domain name. If the updates and registrations have not occurred before the removal of the old computer name, some clients might not be able to locate this computer using the new name or the old name.

For more information, you could refer to the article below.

Rename a Domain Controller Using Netdom

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc816601%28v=ws.10%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

After you rename your domain controller, you must manually update the File Replication Service (FRS) or Distributed File System (DFS) Replication member object. This object must be updated with the new domain controller name so that the domain controller can replicate SYSVOL. Because the FRS or DFS Replication member object is not updated with the domain controller name automatically during the domain controller rename.

Best Regards,

Jay

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Edited by Jay Gu Tuesday, January 12, 2016 8:19 AM
    Tuesday, January 12, 2016 8:18 AM

All replies

• Hi

The domain rename operation is not supported in Microsoft Exchange Server already configured on domain.If you don't have Exchange,you should check the article for "How Domain Rename Works"

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc738208%28v=ws.10%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees,and confers no rights. Best regards Burak Uğur

• Proposed as answer by Mike Crowley Monday, January 11, 2016 7:05 PM
    Monday, January 11, 2016 1:13 PM
  • Hi thank you for your prompt response.

Note: I did not configured exchange server or any other server in that domain controller. i created users and groups only.

I just want to rename. does it will impact any user login,DNS record to desktops? if so what is the correct procedure?

Tuesday, January 12, 2016 4:35 AM
  • Hi

I just want to rename. does it will impact any user login,DNS record to desktops? if so what is the correct procedure? >>>

- DNS Zone files must be created for the new domain name prior to the rename process in relevant DNS servers

- Once the domain is renamed the computers host names will also renamed. So if those are configured to use by applications or systems make sure you prepare to do those changes.

- Systems will need to reboot twice to apply the name changes including workstations. So be prepare for the downtime and service interruptions.

Tuesday, January 12, 2016 7:22 AM
  • Hi RAMAIAH,

You can use this procedure to rename a domain controller by using the Netdom command-line tool.

The Netdom command updates the Service Principal Name (SPN) attributes in Active Directory Domain Services (AD DS) for the computer account. This command also registers Domain Name System (DNS) resource records for the new computer name. The SPN value of the computer account must be replicated to all domain controllers in the domain, and the DNS resource records for the new computer name must be distributed to all the authoritative DNS servers for the domain name. If the updates and registrations have not occurred before the removal of the old computer name, some clients might not be able to locate this computer using the new name or the old name.

For more information, you could refer to the article below.

Rename a Domain Controller Using Netdom

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc816601%28v=ws.10%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

After you rename your domain controller, you must manually update the File Replication Service (FRS) or Distributed File System (DFS) Replication member object. This object must be updated with the new domain controller name so that the domain controller can replicate SYSVOL. Because the FRS or DFS Replication member object is not updated with the domain controller name automatically during the domain controller rename.

Best Regards,

Jay

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Edited by Jay Gu Tuesday, January 12, 2016 8:19 AM
    Tuesday, January 12, 2016 8:18 AM