Present desktop or program? RRS feed

• Question

• With Skype for Business on-prem, which sharing option is recommended for the best meeting experience, desktop or program?  As an example, we've always assumed that if you need to share an Excel spreadsheet (or any other non-Powerpoint application), you should share Excel only and not your whole desktop.  Now i'm starting to read that Microsoft recommends desktop sharing in these situations.  If sharing the desktop is preferred, then..

1. Has it always been this way from OCS to Lync 2010 to Lync 2013 to now?  Or did the recommendation change along the way?

2. Are the recommendations the same as far as peer-to-peer sharing vs meeting sharing.

It seems counterintuitive to us.

Thanks in advance.

Thursday, May 5, 2016 3:51 PM

Answers

• Hi,

its both downside and upside when choosing any of the options. Its more flexibility when you share the desktop, since you can switch between different apps more easily. if you are certain that only excel (or other apps) will be used thru out the presentation, then its better to share the specific app. You then don't have to "clean" up your desktop before the presentation. I personally hardly use share app, mostly its desktop, since it gives me flexibility to switch to other apps. Bandwidth wise, its better to share specific app. Since it cause less lag if users are on bad internet connection.

Please mark as helpful if you find my contribution useful or as an answer if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you. Thank you! Off2work

• Proposed as answer by Eason Huang Tuesday, May 10, 2016 7:01 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by blinkyjesus Wednesday, May 11, 2016 12:20 PM
    • Marked as answer by blinkyjesus Wednesday, May 11, 2016 7:50 PM
    Thursday, May 5, 2016 3:59 PM

All replies

• Sharing whole desktop with Skype for Business (at least in a peer-to-peer session) should benefit from the new Video-Based Screen Sharing - whereas share application won't (yet). On the other hand, sharing program is better from a privacy / security perspective. 
    Thursday, May 5, 2016 3:58 PM
  • Hi,

its both downside and upside when choosing any of the options. Its more flexibility when you share the desktop, since you can switch between different apps more easily. if you are certain that only excel (or other apps) will be used thru out the presentation, then its better to share the specific app. You then don't have to "clean" up your desktop before the presentation. I personally hardly use share app, mostly its desktop, since it gives me flexibility to switch to other apps. Bandwidth wise, its better to share specific app. Since it cause less lag if users are on bad internet connection.

Please mark as helpful if you find my contribution useful or as an answer if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you. Thank you! Off2work

• Proposed as answer by Eason Huang Tuesday, May 10, 2016 7:01 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by blinkyjesus Wednesday, May 11, 2016 12:20 PM
    • Marked as answer by blinkyjesus Wednesday, May 11, 2016 7:50 PM
    Thursday, May 5, 2016 3:59 PM
  • Thanks Matt, Off2work.. So strictly from an overall meeting quality perspective, setting aside flexibility and privacy/security concerns, it's best to share the application and not the desktop? I'm confirming what you said because according to Microsoft (or at least this one document from Microsoft), it's more efficient to share the desktop ("significantly fewer networking resources than program sharing.")

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=47269

Thanks again.

Thursday, May 5, 2016 5:46 PM
  • Hi,

There is no the choose that which option more effective, it just according to the habit to use Skype for Business. You can use either share desktop or share program to share the content for others. Sa Off2work said above, each one have their advantage.

Best Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Eason Huang
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, May 10, 2016 7:01 AM
  • Thanks Eason, but i only wanted to know in terms of network utilization.  In other words, if i'm hosting a Skype meeting and there's a Word document i want to present, which method will be the most efficient and use the least network resources, sharing the document or sharing the desktop?

Thanks.

Wednesday, May 11, 2016 12:20 PM
  • Hi,

this was stated in my comment above.

"Bandwidth wise, its better to share specific app. Since it cause less lag if users are on bad internet connection."

Wednesday, May 11, 2016 1:01 PM