App-V 4.6 Content Paths RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I have a question about App-V content paths using the 4.6 SP2 native infrastructure. From the App-V Management Console we have to configure the Default Content Path, then for each individual application we can configure OSD and icon paths. Additionally there is the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\SoftGrid\4.5\Server\SOFTGRID_CONTENT_DIR key.

What do each of these paths do in relation to each other? I.e. what is the difference between the Default Content Path and the SOFTGRID_CONTENT_DIR registry Key as I believe these can be set independently? Does the Default Content Path just dictate what is pre-filled into an individual application's path fields when it is initially created? When a client attempts to read an application's OSD, presumably this is always from the path specified in the individual application in the console?

The context of the question is that we have two App-V streaming servers and RTSP traffic is directed to a Microsoft NLB namespace that translates to both servers. The content share on the secondary server is replicated from the other one by DFS-R. The problem I have is that DFS-R often takes a long time to copy the SFT files over to the secondary server, particularly if they are large in size. I'm assuming this is due to some hashing process going on as it certainly takes much longer than just copying the data across manually. This causes problems as if I'm testing a new package and having to upload various new revisions, or indeed just trying to publish a new version of an app that I've finished testing, it can take a long time for the SFT file to become available on the secondary server.

I've set the ApplicationSourceRoute registry key on clients to the NLB namespace for resilience. My thoughts were that when initially testing a new app or update that I could manually change the OSD and icon paths from the default of the DFS namespace to that of the primary server. But it's not the OSDs that are the problem, it's the SFT files and presumably, being as I've set the ApplicationSourceRoot key to the DFS namespace, clients could still contact either server to try and stream content.

I wondered if anybody else has had similar problems with DFS-R and had any suggestions for how to work around the problem and maximise availability? 

Thanks

• Edited by Stewmang Wednesday, December 18, 2013 3:56 PM
    Wednesday, December 18, 2013 3:54 PM

Answers

• Hello,

Default Content Path relates to the suggested path for OSD-files and ICO-files when importing the package

The registry key tells the server were to retrieve the SFT-files from, and their path are defined in a relative path under packages.

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

Wednesday, December 18, 2013 9:49 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Default Content Path relates to the suggested path for OSD-files and ICO-files when importing the package

The registry key tells the server were to retrieve the SFT-files from, and their path are defined in a relative path under packages.

Wednesday, December 18, 2013 9:49 PM
  • Hello,

Hi

Thanks for clarifying that. In terms of the DFS-R problem I'm having then, it would appear there's nothing I can do as I can only dictate where OSD and Icon files will be loaded from on an individual package basis?

Thursday, December 19, 2013 9:44 AM
  • Hello,

You stated the OSD / Icon-files were not experiencing the problem?

You can use ISR / OSR to set an override-package on a per-client basis. See this ADM-template walkthrough;

http://kirxblog.wordpress.com/2011/04/13/app-v-client-configuration-with-admx-template/

Thursday, December 19, 2013 3:48 PM
  • Hello,

You stated the OSD / Icon-files were not experiencing the problem?

You can use ISR / OSR to set an override-package on a per-client basis. See this ADM-template walkthrough;

http://kirxblog.wordpress.com/2011/04/13/app-v-client-configuration-with-admx-template/

Hi

Apologies, I probably wasn't very clear with my last comment. What I meant was, I can only dictate where OSD and Icon files are loaded from on an individual package basis (hence they aren't a problem). I can't do the same for SFT files as they'll be dictated by the registry path on the server.

I can set the ApplicationSourceRoot key on a test client to use the primary (non DFS) server (as opposed to the NLB namespace) for testing purposes, but presumably since the SOFTGRID_CONTENT_DIR key on the server is set to the DFS namespace, it could still attempt to stream content from either server. Or does setting this key mean the content will stream from that server irrespective of what's held in the SOFTGRID_CONTENT_DIR key?

The Microsoft documentation for this, which appears to be limited to this blog article, states that for resilience you must set the SOFTGRID_CONTENT_DIR key and the default content path in the console to the DFS namespace. I wondered whether instead of setting the SOFTGRID_CONTENT_DIR key to the DFS namespace on each server, I could set this to the UNC path of the content share on each server respectively. Being as there's only two servers in the replication group, and in the event of one of them failing it won't be serving any streaming requests, I wondered whether this would be a viable option.

Doing this (assuming it would work) would still only get me round the problem of testing multiple versions of new packages, I'm still going to have to live with the delay in content being replicated to our secondary server when I publish a new app or an update to an existing one.

Thursday, December 19, 2013 5:02 PM
  • Hello,

The registry key (ASR) will override anything defined by the server.

Yes, you can. Wether or not that will work depends on how you have designed it. In the end, each server will expect that the file is on the path you specified.

Thursday, December 19, 2013 9:25 PM
  • Hello,

The registry key (ASR) will override anything defined by the server.

Yes, you can. Wether or not that will work depends on how you have designed it. In the end, each server will expect that the file is on the path you specified.

Great, I'll experiment with that. Thanks very much for your help.

Friday, December 20, 2013 9:02 AM