Harddisk recovery software/tool for Windows Vista RRS feed

• Question

• I would like to know if we have any free / open source software for Hard disk recovery for Windows Vista. BTW i have tried PC Inspector File Recovery, let me know if there are any other.

Regards,
    Vishal Mohan

Wednesday, August 5, 2009 6:52 AM

All replies

• In one breath you mention hard disk recovery and in the next you’re looking at file recovery programs!

If you want an excellent, free, file recovery program, try the free Recuva program from here

http://www.filehippo.com/download_recuva/
    Wednesday, August 5, 2009 8:09 AM
  • thanks BurrWalnut, let me download and check. I am looking at recovering files from my C drive.

Regrads,
    Vishal Mohan

Wednesday, August 5, 2009 10:22 AM
  • Hi BurrWalnut,

I tried wasn't successful in recovering my lost file. Let me give a brief about how i lost my files, My Files were residing in "C:\Users\Vishal.Mohan\Pictures" i used to login with my NT credentials let say username as Vishal.Mohan and Password, as there were somefile was missing everytime i login it used to consider as a new user and all the files which were there earlier has been removed and the "C:\Users\Vishal.Mohan\Pictures" folder were empty or newly created everytime.

Hope you have some guidelines / solutions in helping me to recover my files.

Being optimistic  here, can we recover even after the C: Drive is formatted?

Regards,
    Vishal Mohan
    Thursday, August 6, 2009 5:34 AM
  • I still don’t quite follow. Would I be correct in saying you have created a new user account and cannot access pictures on the old one?

If so, you need to take ownership of the folder, right-click it, select Properties > Security Tab > Advanced at the bottom > Owner Tab > Edit > Highlight your username and put a tick in ‘Replace owner on sub containers…’ and Apply > OK. You will only have the ‘Replace owner on subcontainers…’ box for folders not files. Click Yes when you receive the Security pop-up window then click OK to the Close/Reopen message. Make a note of the previous owner in case you want to change it back.

Now go back to the Properties > Security Tab. Click Edit > Add. Type in your User Account Name in the box under Enter the objects name to select. Click on Check Names > OK. Click on your User Account Name to highlight it. Check the box for Full Control > Apply and OK etc.

Thursday, August 6, 2009 7:05 AM
  • Let me try to put it in a simple way :-

Step 1 : Logged into the system using User Account Name "Vishal.Mohan"

Step 2 : Stored some pictures under "C:\Users\Vishal.Mohan\Pictures"

Step 3 : Shut down the System

Step 4 : Start the system

Step 5 : Logged into the system using User Account Name "Vishal.Mohan"

Step 6 : System Identifies as NEW USER and  re-creates folders under this path "C:\Users\Vishal.Mohan" for instance Desktop , Downloads , Videos etc., Since it consider Vishal.Mohan as new user all the folders are empty

Step 7 : Check "C:\Users\Vishal.Mohan\Pictures" "EMPTY"

Let me know if this is clear from my end. Thanks for all your responses.

Regards,
    Vishal Mohan

Thursday, August 6, 2009 9:02 AM
  • I know you’re running Windows 7 but read this Vista page to see if it sounds like your problem.

Here http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/130095-user-profile-service-failed-logon-user-profile-cannot-loaded.html

Thursday, August 6, 2009 7:19 PM
  • I read the article post by you, this talks about fixing the User Profile logon.  I have no issue with User Profile, rather i would need the data which i have lost in the event of fixing User Profile logon.

Hope you got it this time.

Regards,
    Vishal Mohan
    Friday, August 7, 2009 8:09 AM
  • any comments?

Regards,
    Vishal Mohan
    Sunday, August 9, 2009 10:10 AM
  • There are exactly little useful and free software for Hard disk recovery for windows vista. However, recently a useful and free software that supports windows vista and windows 7 to be released by EASEUS.You can download and experience it.

Thursday, May 20, 2010 9:38 AM
  • Yes, Easeus is good. I found easeus has released EASEUS Data Recovery Wizard Free Edition 5.0.1 recently, it is full-functional data recovery software.

http://www.easeus.com/datarecoverywizard/free-data-recovery-software.htm

Thursday, May 20, 2010 11:02 AM