Override from critical to warming, works in alert, but health state is still critical RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there

I'll start off with an example:

In the SQL 2012 MP there is a monitor for Page Life Expectancy. I want this to be a warning, not a critical error.

So I've applied an override for "Alert Severity -> Warning" on "All objects of class: SQL DB Engine".

This works fine on the alerts, but the health state of the SQL Engine still says critical when PLE falls below our defined threshold.

There are no options for overriding the health state. Is there any way to override this? Am I missing something? I've had simular situations on custom MPs, but on those I can just edit the health and alerting tab (unsealed MP).

Thanks in advance.

Monday, November 9, 2015 7:46 AM

Answers

• You cannot achieve what you expected. Page Life Expectancy monitor changes health state from healthy into critical state, which you see in the SQL engine health state, in error condition and there is not any override setting to change this setting.
    roger
    • Marked as answer by Simen O Monday, November 9, 2015 10:56 AM
    Monday, November 9, 2015 8:44 AM
  • Hi 

alert from the monitor is generated by two critical factors

1) health state of the monitor provide conduction to raise alert, this property can not be override as it is defined in the monitor type.

2) once health sate conduction is met to generate alert, alert can be generate as information or warning or critical. we have option to override and change the severity of the alert but not health state.

Thanks 

sridhar v

• Proposed as answer by sridhar vishwanatham Monday, November 9, 2015 8:50 AM
    Monday, November 9, 2015 8:50 AM

All replies

• You cannot override mapping from condition to health state unless monitor exposes an overridable parameter for it.... which is rarely the case. You should, however, be able to adjust tresholds for warning and Critical state.

Gleb.

Monday, November 9, 2015 8:11 AM
  • Check and share the warning / error logs from Server event viewer. 

Also make sure the Primary MP can easy access on port 1433/4022. 

Regards, Koustov Choudhury

Monday, November 9, 2015 8:19 AM
  • You cannot achieve what you expected. Page Life Expectancy monitor changes health state from healthy into critical state, which you see in the SQL engine health state, in error condition and there is not any override setting to change this setting.
    roger
    Monday, November 9, 2015 8:44 AM
  • Hi 

alert from the monitor is generated by two critical factors

1) health state of the monitor provide conduction to raise alert, this property can not be override as it is defined in the monitor type.

2) once health sate conduction is met to generate alert, alert can be generate as information or warning or critical. we have option to override and change the severity of the alert but not health state.

Thanks 

sridhar v

• Proposed as answer by sridhar vishwanatham Monday, November 9, 2015 8:50 AM
    Monday, November 9, 2015 8:50 AM
  • Thanks to everyone for the clarification!
    Monday, November 9, 2015 10:56 AM
  • Hi, some workarounds

1. http://blogs.technet.com/b/scpferublog/archive/2014/11/07/how-to-change-the-state-of-monitors-part-2.aspx

2. Create a monitor clone in another MP and change HealthState of OperationalState to "Warning", then disable the original monitor.

Monday, November 9, 2015 11:09 AM