• Question

• Hi

I have the following setup:
    On-premise Exchange 2016
    On premise AD.
    Domain joined Pc with Windows 10
    Outlook 2016
    AD User logged on

First time the user starts Outlook it starts up fine and connects to the Exchange Server without asking for credentials - or any other question for that matter. 

Next time and all following times it will prompt for credentials. The user don't have to supply any credentials. It connects just fine and mail flow working.
    If the user cancels the prompt dialog, within a few seconds, the bottom Outlook status bar changes to "Need Password" with a key icon to the left.  Then if the user just click on that message Outlook will
    immediately connects to Exchange.

Entering the password is NOT the solution I'm looking for. It hasn't been entered in Outlook at any point and I do not want the user to be bothered with supplying credentials they already supplied when logging on. The dialog box should not appear just like it doesn't the first time Outlook is started. 

/Lars

Monday, March 26, 2018 10:05 AM

All replies

• Hi Lars Kjer Jensen,

Does this issue only happen to this specific account?

When the password prompt issue occurs, please check the Connection Status by the following method: press CTRL key - right click on the Outlook icon from right bottom corner taskbar > Connection Status to check the connection. You could share the screenshot here for further research.

Additionally, in case it was caused by incorrect cached password, please navigate to control panel > credential manager > windows credentials. Locate the outlook credential and remove it.

If issue persists, please re-create a new profile and check if same issue occurs.

Any updates, please feel free to tell me.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Edited by Perry-Pan Tuesday, March 27, 2018 2:36 AM
    Tuesday, March 27, 2018 2:35 AM
  • Screen shot - I get an error saying I can't upload images until my account is verified... Basically it has three lines all saying connected and no error. Will try to see how I get my account verified.

As goes for cached credentials - none there. 

As for new profile - I can delete the profile and first time the user starts Outlook - connects and no prompt. Second time and every time after that - prompts for password. 

Goes for every user I have tested. 

This does not happen with Outlook 2010. Outlook 2013 is yet to be tested. 

Best regards,

Lars

Tuesday, March 27, 2018 6:41 AM
  • Hi Lars,

If you cannot put the screenshot here, you can upload it to OneDrive (https://onedrive.live.com/) and then share the link here. 

What’s more, please try starting Outlook in safe mode and see whether this issue continues. This helps eliminate if the problem is related to any third party add-ins. To do this, please exit Outlook, press Win key + R to open the Run command, type outlook.exe /safe, press Enter.

>>As goes for cached credentials - none there.

Normally, if you click Remember My Credentials, a local cache will be saved in Windows credential. Have you selected this option?

For Outlook 2010, are they connected to the same Exchange Server?

Regarding Outlook keeping prompting for password, I found a Forum FAQ here for your reference.

Hope this is helpful to you.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Tuesday, March 27, 2018 7:05 AM
  • First the screen shot:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AiIxHtpNKTsPaMzFvXg4yJzoaU8

Let me know if you can see it.

Best regards,

Lars

Tuesday, March 27, 2018 7:37 AM
  • Hi Lar,

I can see the screenshot here.

Please also check the suggestion above to see if the information is helpful to you.

Any updates, please post back at ease.

Regards,

Perry

Tuesday, March 27, 2018 7:40 AM
  • Hi Perry, 

As for cached credentials - none was ever entered. First time the user starts Outlook it starts up fine and connects to the Exchange Server without asking for credentials - or any other question for that matter.

Outlook 2010 is connected to the same Exchange server, yes. 

Safe mode is interesting though. When started in safe mode it does not ask for credentials.
    I have now disabled all add-ins but started in normal mode is still asks for credentials.

Best regards,

Lars

Tuesday, March 27, 2018 7:49 AM
  • Hi Lars,

When you start Outlook in safe mode, many of the customizations that you have made to Outlook are not loaded. Instead, these settings are replaced temporarily by the default settings. Additionally, COM add-ins and Exchange Client Extensions are not loaded.

From your description, this issue is not related with COM add-ins.

Please refer to the information under Step 5 section in this link. Review the list of disabled items, and then try to identify those items that are related to the steps that you took that caused this issue.

Regards,

Perry

• Proposed as answer by Perry-Pan Thursday, March 29, 2018 5:51 AM
    Tuesday, March 27, 2018 8:01 AM
  • Hi Lars,

I am writing to see how everything is going with this issue. If the above information was helpful, could you please help mark it as answer so it will be easy for other forum members who might have similar issues to find the useful one?

Regards,

Perry

Thursday, March 29, 2018 5:52 AM
  • Lars, Perry - 

I'm having the exact same issue here at my company.

This happens on all our installed base of OL2016 vis-à-vis an on-premises Microsoft Exchange 2016 server running on Windows Server 2016.

We have 5 machines here, all identical Dell OptiPlex 9020 Core i3 machines with 8GB RAM that have had no issues since their install last year.

This screencap is from one of the machines with OL running in Safe Mode.

OL2016_Credentials_Ask

This is extremely annoying; they pop up over and over. We just dismiss them. It does not affect the connection to Exchange, which is working fine.

A couple of our users are so annoyed they have stopped using OL and just started using OWA in Edge. Not as nice nor easy to work with, but at least no annoying pop-ups.

Any ideas what the * is going on???

Thanks,

~Sam @ GPT

"I'm anispeptic, frasmotic, even compunctual to have caused you such pericombobulation."

Sunday, October 14, 2018 8:20 PM
  • Perhaps there are stale credentials in the Credential Manager for Windows that are conflicting with Exchange.

Have you tried clearing those and then accessed Outlook?  Does this happen on more than one PC?

Try removing any accounts below and open Outlook.  The user will be prompted to enter their credentials again and hopefully for the last time.

You could also try removing their local profile or recreating it and testing it.

Sunday, October 14, 2018 10:41 PM
  • Thanks for the advice.

It happens regularly on two out of five machines.

I tried deleting/recreating profiles; no luck.

I tried deleting all "Office16_Data..." credentials, then deleting/recreating profile; also, no luck.

It's really weird. The 5 machines are identical hardware with the same Win10 Enterprise image installed, containing the same version of Office (2016).

I still don't get why it happens on some machines and not others.

BTW - this only started happening in October; never before that in all the time I've been here (since 2009). We've been using Office since 2010 and Windows since Win7. Always Intel machines, always 64bit.

"I'm anispeptic, frasmotic, even compunctual to have caused you such pericombobulation."

Wednesday, October 17, 2018 6:20 AM
  • I had a very similar problem which drove me nuts for a week. Logged in to Outlook, some users would be prompted for credentials 3 times every 7 - 8 minutes. Outlook continued to work regardless of whether they clicked OK or Cancel.

I tried all sorts of things until I finally tracked it down. In my case our Exchange Server was behind a reverse proxy which directs inbound SSL connections to different servers depending on the hostname specified in the request.

The problem was that an SSL certificate was bound to host.domain.com, but not to autodiscover.domain.com.

I realize that not many people may be running Exchange behind a reverse proxy, but the lesson here is to check your Outlook autodiscover process if you're being prompted for credentials needlessly.

Microsoft's autodiscover test tool here might be a good place to check:
    https://testconnectivity.microsoft.com

• Proposed as answer by AngeloAnelloIT Wednesday, March 20, 2019 3:13 AM
    Wednesday, February 20, 2019 7:04 PM