none
Solution to Windows Sign In Error 0x80090016 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have an issue when I sign in to my system.

I get Windows Sign In Error 0x80090016 when I try to 

I am getting a message that "Keyset does not exist" when I try to verify my identity.

My One Note does not sync.

When I try to change my password I get a "something went wrong Try again or select Cancel to set up your device later."

I get a "We could't connect to Microsoft family right now, so your family on this device might not be up to date." error in Family & other people. 

Any suggestions?

Thank you

Monday, August 13, 2018 10:00 AM

Answers

• Here is the fix I found that worked.

To repair your PIN & picture password:

Open File Explorer and browse to this location:

C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Local\Microsoft\NGC

Delete everything within that folder

If you can't delete everything within that folder due to an Administrator error, rename the folder.

Go to Settings-> Accounts->Sign-in Options

Click Add a PIN again and set your PIN

PIN sign in should work going forward

Tuesday, August 21, 2018 10:57 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Based on your description, I know that you are getting the Windows client issue. To better resolve the issue, I will move it to Windows 10 IT General forum.
    Thanks for your understanding!

Best Regards, 
    Herb Gu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Microsoft Team

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams
    Tuesday, August 14, 2018 7:31 AM
  • Thanks for moving this, but I hope someone has a solution. I pay for this service and it should work.

Tuesday, August 14, 2018 9:29 AM
  • Hi Steve, 

"I get Windows Sign In Error 0x80090016 when I try to "

When did the issue occur? Do you mean the issue occur after you login Windows System? 

Does the issue ocur on other user account?

"I am getting a message that "Keyset does not exist" when I try to verify my identity"

Here is an article which record a similar issue with you, please refer to it and check the measures on your side.

"Keyset does not exist" error message when you try to change the identity of an application pool by using Internet Information Services Manager from a remote computer

"My One Note does not sync"

Did you login system with Microsoft account? 

Please make sure you have a good network connection, then try to sync One Note manually. 

"I get a "We could't connect to Microsoft family right now, so your family on this device might not be up to date." error in Family & other people. "

Did you add other account to family & other account in settings?

If yes, try to login the family account to sync the profile. Or try to delete the account and add it again. 

Bests,

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, August 15, 2018 6:45 AM
  • Hi Jay,

I can't sign in to my MS account on this laptop under shared experiences.

That is why I can't access the MS account on the system, email, or One Note.

I keep getting the error 0x80090016

I can sign in online.

This is a Windows 10 machine.

This HP system has a large D: Drive and a small C: Drive so I can't sign in to a different account because I don't have the room.

Thanks

Wednesday, August 15, 2018 9:30 AM
  • Hi Steve, 

Try to search for "Credential Manager" and delete all credentail about your Microsoft acocunt.

Then try to check if the issue occur again.

"This HP system has a large D: Drive and a small C: Drive so I can't sign in to a different account because I don't have the room."

Any related error message occur or just your guest? According to my know, little account issue is related with system space. 

If you think the error is related with space room on system drive, we could run disk clean up to clean the cache, temporary files and others. 

We also could refer to the following link to change system volume size. How to Use Windows 7 Disk Manager to Extend Windows 7 System Partition? (just use disk management to change system size rather than third party tools). Please back up all your files before your action. As it would have a risk to your system, please take carefully when take actions. 

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Bests,

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by GSPitman Thursday, April 11, 2019 9:14 PM
    Thursday, August 16, 2018 10:05 AM
  • Windows Credentials says "No Windows Credentials"

I did change the passwords for Generic Credentials.

Not sure if if it helped.

My C: Drive is 256 GB.

I did not put my family accounts on this system because I only have 70 GB left on the C: Drive.

My D: Drive  is 900 GB.

HP wants me to pay them for information (HP Care) on how to save to the D: Drive, and I won't.

Friday, August 17, 2018 8:19 AM
  • No luck on the Generic Credentials fix.

I have several screen shots of the issue, however this forum won't let me upload them until I am verified which I can't be since I can't log in.

The whole thing is a bad joke.

Friday, August 17, 2018 9:28 AM

If you can't delete everything within that folder due to an Administrator error, rename the folder.

Tuesday, August 21, 2018 10:57 AM
  • Hi, 
    Thank you for your feedback.
    Please mark the useful reply as an answer which might be helpful for other customers.

Bests,

Wednesday, September 5, 2018 8:05 AM
  • Some extra info:

Sometimes the end folder of the path is inaccessible due to ownership issues, so in order to proceed with this solution one needs to permanently take ownership over Ngc, revert permissions to the defaults (SYSTEM, Local Services, Administrators) and enable inheritance. There was no need to remove anything inside this folder in my case.

It's not clear to me who should be the default owner of this folder - SYSTEM, Local services or Administrators. I have chosen the latter and it still works fine.

Monday, December 24, 2018 2:54 PM
  • So, we now have a solution.

Still, we have yet to identify the problem, i.e., what caused it, in the first place?

Aside from the solution, I think we ought to know what caused the problem, so we will be aware and avoid it from recurring.

Monday, January 7, 2019 10:48 AM

Perfect. 

This happened after my system board was replaced on my Lenovo X1 Carbon

Thursday, January 10, 2019 8:41 PM
  • Or go there (C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Local\Microsoft\NGC) and change the OWNER permissions to the current user :)
    Tuesday, January 29, 2019 6:47 PM
  • This worked for me, thanks!

I had my motherboard replaced on my Lenovo Thinkpad X1 and had this same issue. My one note could not sync and other things that required the account were not working. I tried resetting permissions on the Ngc directory first, but that didn't fully work. That just got me to the point where an error saying "Keyset does not exist" kept showing up. Finally I just bit the bullet and removed the directory inside of the Ngc folder. Then I set a new pin and everything started to work again.

Sunday, April 7, 2019 1:20 PM
  • ‏it happened to me on my asus laptop after i switch motherboard

and your solution worked although it require changing the permission on the Ngc folder

Friday, April 12, 2019 11:39 AM
  • Delete all related saved passwords from credential manager and reboot.
    Monday, May 27, 2019 8:18 AM
  • after local service there is no appdata folder on my windows 10 pc. 
    Wednesday, February 12, 2020 11:11 PM
  • I can not delete it or rename it?!
    Tuesday, February 25, 2020 2:47 AM
  • after local service there is no appdata folder on my windows 10 pc. 
    I have the same problem. Anyone know of a solution?
    Thursday, February 27, 2020 9:06 AM
  • i've tried to delete everything in this folder and can't.  i tried to rename the folder and can't.  it wants me to change ownership but i don't know how to do this.  Fran 
    • Proposed as answer by Jennieja Thursday, April 30, 2020 2:51 PM
    Friday, March 27, 2020 2:33 AM
  • How to Take Ownership of Files and Folders in Windows

1. Right-click the object and choose “Properties.”
    2. In the Properties window, on the “Security” tab, click “Advanced.”
    3. Next to the listed Owner, click the “Change” link.
    4. Type your user account name into the “Enter the object name to select” box and then click “Check Names.”
    5. When the name is validated, click “OK.”

Thursday, April 30, 2020 2:51 PM
  • This did not work for me. Is there an alternate solution?
    Monday, June 29, 2020 6:23 PM
  • Removing everything in 'C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Local\Microsoft\NGC'  did not work for me. But removing everything in 'C:\Users\<Username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Crypto\RSA' followed by restarting 'Cryptographic Services' fixed the issue.

Thursday, July 2, 2020 12:32 AM
  • For me turned out the AAD Broker Plugin is was missing.  

https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/2205118-office-365-won-t-log-in-without-enableadal-0?page=1#entry-8838776

"We have found on user endpoints that the AAD Broker Plugin is sometimes missing and this is what causes all manner of hell and headache with Microsoft applications/services for end users.

You can check whether it is present with this:

Powershell
    Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.AAD.BrokerPlugin

If that returns nothing, then the plugin is missing. To fix this, run the following:

Powershell
    if (-not (Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.AAD.BrokerPlugin)) { Add-AppxPackage -Register "$env:windir\SystemApps\Microsoft.AAD.BrokerPlugin_cw5n1h2txyewy\Appxmanifest.xml" -DisableDevelopmentMode -ForceApplicationShutdown } Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.AAD.BrokerPlugin

Finally, clean things up (and re-enable ADAL if you disabled it via registry hack) with the following:

Powershell
    Remove-ItemProperty -Path "HKCU:\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Common\Identity" -Name "EnableADAL"
    cmdkey /list | ForEach-Object{if($_ -like "*Target:*"){cmdkey /del:($_ -replace " ","" -replace "Target:","")}}

---"

9 hours 26 minutes ago