Microphone works with Audacity, but not Sound Recorder and not with Vista Speech Recognition - why? RRS feed

• Question

• Microphone works with Audacity, but not Sound Recorder and not with Vista Speech Recognition. I have used the speech recognition feature before and it worked fine. Now it is as if it doesn't receive the audio data stream. The same with the built-in Vista Recorder. If I open the control panel the sound level meter associated with the microphone responds appropriately to my speaking into the mic. I can also record sound with Audacity and play it back.

I have tried all the obvious things like making sure the microphone is selected as the default mic. When I run the "Set Up a Microphone" wizard it acts as if there is no mic. But Audacity has no problems with any mic I plug in. I've tried using both a USB mic and a typical 3.5mm plug-in type mic with the same results.

Is there some registry entry that may have been tweeked out of whack by an update, or some software I installed?

Any ideas on how to resolve this?
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 4:49 PM