none
configuring memory ballooning

Question

• hello

i have windows server 2016 and hyperv is installed on it.

please tell me how i can use memory ballooning technique on it. thanks 

Sunday, March 05, 2017 10:08 PM

Answers

• When creating a new Virtual Machine via Hyper-V manager or via Failover Cluster Manager, Dynamic Memory is used by default but with an option to disable it. In SCVMM Dynamic Memory is not enabled by default. You can check whether Dynamic Memory is enabled or disabled on all the VM Guests running under a specific VM Host by executing the following Powershell Command from the VM Host ( Elevated Prompt )

• Get-VMMemory * | Out-GridView

Monday, March 06, 2017 8:23 AM

All replies

• Hi Hassan! In Hyper-V we can benefit of this memory reclaimation technique, by simply enabling Dynamic Memory allocation in our VM Guest. Additional information can be found in the following link https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh831766(v=ws.11).aspx. Hope it helps!
    Sunday, March 05, 2017 11:40 PM
  • Hello George,

Memory Weight is related to Memory ballooning???

Sunday, March 05, 2017 11:51 PM
  • Memory weight is kinda related to ballooning. Dynamic memory does the trick. With Mem weight VM Guests with a higher memory weight will take precedence over VM Guests with lower memory weights.
    Monday, March 06, 2017 12:03 AM
  • Ballooning technique is enable by default? can we see it? can we disable it? 
    Monday, March 06, 2017 12:38 AM
  • When creating a new Virtual Machine via Hyper-V manager or via Failover Cluster Manager, Dynamic Memory is used by default but with an option to disable it. In SCVMM Dynamic Memory is not enabled by default. You can check whether Dynamic Memory is enabled or disabled on all the VM Guests running under a specific VM Host by executing the following Powershell Command from the VM Host ( Elevated Prompt )

• Get-VMMemory * | Out-GridView

Monday, March 06, 2017 8:23 AM
  • i understand..

Can you also define me on your own words about Enlightened I/O?

what is function of it and how to configure it?

Monday, March 06, 2017 11:20 AM
  • 'Enlightenment' is not limited to IO.  It is a function of the hypervisor for all VMs that have integration services.  All supported operating system have integration services.  No real way to turn this off and on.  Enlightenments purpose is to maximize performance.

. : | : . : | : . tim

Monday, March 06, 2017 2:05 PM
  • its mean when we enabled integration service then Enlightenment IO will start on background. right?

by the way what is the basic function of Enlightenments? only maximum performance? which kind of performance?

Monday, March 06, 2017 4:01 PM
  • I am not sure where you are reading about enlightenments so I am not sure we are talking about the same thing.  Here is an older article that might help you understand integration services and operating system enlightenments. Yes, basically these capabilities are for improving performance by making things work at the hardware level instead of emulating hardware in software.

. : | : . : | : . tim

Monday, March 06, 2017 8:48 PM