Client Setup Wizard error at start up RRS feed

• Question

• I was looking for a file yesterday and when I double clicked on my C:\Users file it disappeared.  I didn't get a message asking to delete it or move it.  It is not in the recycle bin and when I search my C: drive for it, it is not found.  Now when I reboot my computer I get a Client Setup Wizard error telling me "The system cannot copy a file from the server to this computer."  However I can connect to my network just fine and get to all my network drives and files.  The only thing missing are my local files...shortcuts on the desktop, favorites in IE, My Documents folder, etc.  Out of curiousity I tried adding a new folder to the C: drive called users and I get a warning telling me "The destination already contains a folder named "Users'" and I get the option to merge the new and missing folders.  I am afraid to do this as I am not sure if I will create a bigger mess than I already have.  I do not have a repair cd, but I will make one as soon as I get this fixed!  I am trying to save myself from having to restore from my Windows 7 cds.  Any ideas?
    Thursday, December 9, 2010 2:00 PM

Answers

• Okay, if as you said, you have your local files, shortcut on desktop, favorites and my document folder etc missing, it seems that you have some problem with your local user profile. Can you make sure that you are NOT log in as temp user profile? 

And you were also mentioning that you have the whole 'Users' folder missing under C drive or? You cannot create a user folder under C root drive youself since user folder is a systematic folder that should be created/used by Windows itself.

• Marked as answer by Juke Chou Monday, December 20, 2010 3:34 AM
    Thursday, December 9, 2010 2:35 PM
  • Can you try to create another administrator account (I suppose you are administrator yourself) and login that account, see how it goes??
    Friday, December 10, 2010 10:05 AM

All replies

• You were speaking about 'Client setup wizard' popup, what is that about? Do you have any screenshot including the message? If it is possible, can you upload the screenshot to somewhere and post back the link, so I can make sure what kind of popup it is..
    Thursday, December 9, 2010 2:07 PM
  • No I don't have anywhere I can post a link.  But it is not a pop up.  It is a Wondows error that shows up when I reboot or turn my computer on.  This is the entire message..."The system cannot copy a file from the server to this computer.  Make sure that the network cables and devices are plugged in and functioning properly, and then try again to join this computer to the network."  But again I am logged into the network, can see all my netwoork drives and access all my network files.  So I think the network is looking for my local Users file and it can't find it.

Thursday, December 9, 2010 2:16 PM
  • Okay, if as you said, you have your local files, shortcut on desktop, favorites and my document folder etc missing, it seems that you have some problem with your local user profile. Can you make sure that you are NOT log in as temp user profile? 

And you were also mentioning that you have the whole 'Users' folder missing under C drive or? You cannot create a user folder under C root drive youself since user folder is a systematic folder that should be created/used by Windows itself.

Thursday, December 9, 2010 2:35 PM
  • Yes I am logged in as myself and not a temp user which is another weird element of this.  The "Users" folder appears to be missing.  I have checked tomake sure there are not folders hidden but it still doesn't show up.  But if I try to make a new Users folder I get the message saying one already exists and do I want to merge the new one and old one.
    Thursday, December 9, 2010 3:02 PM
  • Can you try to create another administrator account (I suppose you are administrator yourself) and login that account, see how it goes??
    Friday, December 10, 2010 10:05 AM