Copy few steps from task sequence in MDT RRS feed

• Question

• I have 12 task sequences used to deploy Windows 7 with different version of Office installed in image and for both architectures. I need to support 10 different hardware models so each task sequence have some steps which installing drivers (e.g. camera, fingerprint) depend on hardware model (condition, WMI query). So for test I change manually only two task sequences and then test them. If everything is ok I need to copy some steps from task sequence into all other task sequences. I am doing it manually by editing ts.xml files but it take some time and is tedious. Is it any way to do it differently?
    Tuesday, July 30, 2013 7:23 AM

Answers

• Yup, the Workbench is awesome in this sense.  Open both Task Sequences at the same time, select the Step you want in one, CTRL-C or right-click and Copy, then click in the area in the other Task Sequence you want it and CTRL-V or right-click and Paste.  You may have to move the pasted step up or down, but this is the easy way to copy steps back and forth.  Fortunately, this also works even if the Task Sequences you open come from different Deployment Shares (both open in the same Workbench).  You can Copy and Paste a lot more between Shares and between objects than most people realize. : )

David Coulter | http://DCtheGeek.blogspot.com | @DCtheGeek

• Marked as answer by bbelko Tuesday, July 30, 2013 1:31 PM
    Tuesday, July 30, 2013 12:49 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• Yup, the Workbench is awesome in this sense.  Open both Task Sequences at the same time, select the Step you want in one, CTRL-C or right-click and Copy, then click in the area in the other Task Sequence you want it and CTRL-V or right-click and Paste.  You may have to move the pasted step up or down, but this is the easy way to copy steps back and forth.  Fortunately, this also works even if the Task Sequences you open come from different Deployment Shares (both open in the same Workbench).  You can Copy and Paste a lot more between Shares and between objects than most people realize. : )

David Coulter | http://DCtheGeek.blogspot.com | @DCtheGeek

• Marked as answer by bbelko Tuesday, July 30, 2013 1:31 PM
    Tuesday, July 30, 2013 12:49 PM
    Answerer
  • Also as an alternative,  the TaskSequences are stored in plain XML (text) files under:

<deployshare>/control/<tsname>

And you can copy / paste sections directly from these.  Wouldn't be difficult to create a simple powershell to update the TS' as required,  if your process is fairly static.  i.e you always use the same TS for testing, and the other TS is identical except for the heading and OS etc.

Thursday, August 1, 2013 1:30 AM
  • I've also used a file compare tool like Beyond Compare to copy tasks from one TS to the other. You need to have a careful eye and understand the XML structure, but it is easier than cutting and pasting through the MMC.
    Thursday, August 1, 2013 2:47 AM