none
Scheduling Issues RRS feed

• Question

• I have the following problem

- 22 hours worth of work (total)

- However this work will be performed over the next 19 days. (Let’s say 12/6 – 12/30)

Task ID

Task

Total Duration

Duration

System Health Check

22h

Software Audit

6h

Performance & Configuration Audit

16h

Custom or Third Party App Audit

4h

System Admin Audit

4h

Prepare Audit Report

8h

The problem that I am having is that when I plug in the days (12/6 – 12/30) Project changes my duration thus not giving me a accurate picture of the project.

My expectation (and that of my boss) would have been that project would not change anything but that it would show resources being utilized 1.25 hours per day over the next 19 days.

Please let me know if I can make this happen and make it visible to my boss.

Many thanks in advance,

Wednesday, November 30, 2011 6:16 PM

Answers

• Hi,

The solution starts with your own vocabulary. You mention 22 hours of WORK - which you haven't even input into Project, you only mention DURATION.

Duration is (roughly) the difference between start and finish Ful Stop. If you "put in the dates" (which you shouldn't but that is an other matter) Project cannot show anything else that the dfference between start and finish.

You get a first idea (I know scores of purists will now start teklling me and you thet this is not teh right way but still try it) fif you insert a column called work and a column called type. You have to select these columns, not try to create them yourself

For the task on which you have forced the duration, set Work to 22 hrs

Set type to Fixed Work (you can select that)

Now in the column resource names enter the name for the resoruce you are thinking about

You will now see a utilisation of the resouce of 14%. Switch to the task Usage view, it shows you 1,15 hours per day.

Still, you are now abslutely nowhere. I just gave you this to show that Project can do this and many other things, and hence to encoursage you to take a course or at least a book (typically 400 pages) to see what it can and is made for.

Wish you all the luck!

Greetings,

Wednesday, November 30, 2011 7:50 PM

All replies

• Hi,

The solution starts with your own vocabulary. You mention 22 hours of WORK - which you haven't even input into Project, you only mention DURATION.

Duration is (roughly) the difference between start and finish Ful Stop. If you "put in the dates" (which you shouldn't but that is an other matter) Project cannot show anything else that the dfference between start and finish.

You get a first idea (I know scores of purists will now start teklling me and you thet this is not teh right way but still try it) fif you insert a column called work and a column called type. You have to select these columns, not try to create them yourself

For the task on which you have forced the duration, set Work to 22 hrs

Set type to Fixed Work (you can select that)

Now in the column resource names enter the name for the resoruce you are thinking about

You will now see a utilisation of the resouce of 14%. Switch to the task Usage view, it shows you 1,15 hours per day.

Still, you are now abslutely nowhere. I just gave you this to show that Project can do this and many other things, and hence to encoursage you to take a course or at least a book (typically 400 pages) to see what it can and is made for.

Wish you all the luck!

Greetings,

Wednesday, November 30, 2011 7:50 PM
  • Jan,

I am one of those purists but I will not contradict you on this because:

• It gets him what he wants even if that is not what he needs or what he should be looking for,
    • It demonstrates how proper project planning and MSP works
    • It comes from you, so it is reliable ;)
    Wednesday, November 30, 2011 11:30 PM