Outlook 2016 To-Do bar only showing cached flagged items RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I have Outlook 2016 connected to an O365 mailbox with 3 months caching enabled.

It is only showing flagged items for only the last 3 months.

If I change to non-cached mode, all the flagged items appear in the To-Do list.

I understand the To-Do list is produced by a background search job for Tasks and flagged items.

Is it possible to set the To-Do list background search to use Server Side search index in Exchange Online instead of the local Outlook cache ?

This is a large mailbox and do not want cache the entire mailbox.

Regards

Jeff

Saturday, July 15, 2017 3:03 AM

Answers

• Hi Jeff,

As you have realized, this is the expected behavior in Outlook. The To-Do list is a kind of view that filter all flagged items in the Outlook local cache. I'm afraid there is option/method to change the behavior.

Regards,

Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Steve Fan Tuesday, July 25, 2017 2:28 AM
    • Marked as answer by Jeffrey Campbell Tuesday, July 25, 2017 2:33 AM
    Monday, July 24, 2017 1:28 AM
  • Thank you for the update Jeff. Sounds a great idea:)

I can't confirm whether there is any plan to change this. Actually, the search behavior has already been changed in Outlook 2016. Outlook 2016 now uses the Exchange Search Index in priority. See our forum article here. However, this seems doesn't apply to flagged to-do items. I'd recommend you submit a feature request via the UserVoice forum, which is the most direct channel our product team utilizes to collect ideas and suggestions from our customers. The product team will review the forum and will consider whether to add the feature according to customer needs.

Thank you again for your understanding and support.

Regards,

Steve Fan

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, July 25, 2017 2:28 AM

All replies

• Hi Jeff,

As you have realized, this is the expected behavior in Outlook. The To-Do list is a kind of view that filter all flagged items in the Outlook local cache. I'm afraid there is option/method to change the behavior.

Regards,

Steve Fan

Monday, July 24, 2017 1:28 AM
  • Thanks Steve

Do you know if there is any plans to change this?

The Hybrid search in Outlook 2016 is a great feature. Especially for RDSH or VDI. It would be even better if it could be extended to To-Do list, Calendar and Contacts when using Outlook cached mode. That way, will not need to install Windows Service and my To-Do list list problem will be resolved.

Regards

Jeff

Monday, July 24, 2017 1:49 AM
  • Thank you for the update Jeff. Sounds a great idea:)

I can't confirm whether there is any plan to change this. Actually, the search behavior has already been changed in Outlook 2016. Outlook 2016 now uses the Exchange Search Index in priority. See our forum article here. However, this seems doesn't apply to flagged to-do items. I'd recommend you submit a feature request via the UserVoice forum, which is the most direct channel our product team utilizes to collect ideas and suggestions from our customers. The product team will review the forum and will consider whether to add the feature according to customer needs.

Thank you again for your understanding and support.

Regards,

Steve Fan

Tuesday, July 25, 2017 2:28 AM
  • Thanks Steve. Will do.

Regards

Jeff

Tuesday, July 25, 2017 2:34 AM