App-V application with shortcut launching a folder RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

I have sequenced an application which contains a shortcut that opens up a folder (containing example forms). We are currently using standalone method without streaming for the App-V package hence installed using msi.

The application works correct with the above, however in future if a new version of the application comes which is also App-Ved with upgrade functionality included in the new msi, it would not install on machine were the prev version shortcut (launching folder) is already running, and since the shortcut opens up a folder its difficult to communicate to user to close all windows.

Is there any solution that can be implemented to take care of above scenario?

Regards
    Sujit J

Monday, August 26, 2013 9:02 AM

Answers

• Hello,

You can kill a child-process if the main process closes. Forcefully closing the main process in App-V 4.X is not possible with any App-V specific means

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

• Marked as answer by Sujit J Thursday, September 5, 2013 4:52 AM
    Friday, August 30, 2013 6:38 AM

All replies

• A simple method for this, since you are not streaming could be to use your distribution system to perform a reboot before removing the previous version and then install the new version. I assume if it's opening a folder, that's using explorer.exe which is something you likely don't want to run a task kill on, so a reboot may help. Alternatively, what if you change the name of the new shortcut slightly and then run a clean-up of the previous shortcut after your deployment

PLEASE MARK ANY ANSWERS TO HELP OTHERS Blog: rorymon.com Twitter: @Rorymon

Monday, August 26, 2013 1:52 PM
  • A reboot will work however this means an unncessary reboot before installing the application (as compared with the traditional windows installer).
    Also we have scripted the App-v package msi such that the delete action will fail if the application is running and not been shutdown, hence the option of changing shortcut name and then cleanup is ruled out (as while upgrading the removal of previous will fail if running).

While performing the add action in App-, the msi used the PACKAGE_GUID for adding, is there a query i can run to check if {XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXX} is already installed and how can i shutdown that application?

Tuesday, August 27, 2013 4:07 AM
  • Hello,

You can use the; Stop-AppvClientPackage

To check if its install use;

Get-AppVClientPackage and compare for PackageID and VersionID

Tuesday, August 27, 2013 8:10 AM
  • thanks for the solution.

However are Stop-AppvClientPackage and Get-AppVClientPackage applicable for App-V 4.6 as well. If yes can you please guide me how to use it as im not so good with power shell scripting. If possible vbscript would help.

thanks in advance

• Edited by Sujit J Wednesday, August 28, 2013 6:08 AM
    Wednesday, August 28, 2013 5:40 AM
  • App-V4 does not have those powershell cmdlets. So no you can use them with 4.6.
    You can also write a vb-script to close all windows (in your case just 1) containing your path, to shutdown the package.

Wednesday, August 28, 2013 9:28 AM
  • Can you let me know how to shutdown a specific shortcut or a specific application in App-V 4.6 using the msi as we use msi for deployment.
    Thursday, August 29, 2013 4:02 AM
  • Hello,

If leveraging an MSI, create a custom action that performs a simple taskkill.
    Sample;

taskkill /IM yourexe.exe

• Proposed as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Thursday, August 29, 2013 6:49 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Sujit J Friday, August 30, 2013 2:36 AM
    Thursday, August 29, 2013 6:43 PM
  • In my case the exe is explorer.exe hence killing this does not seem to be a valid option as users will surely be having something running.

I thought there was some way through which we can shutdown any specific shortcut or application in AppV 4.6

Friday, August 30, 2013 4:14 AM
  • Hello,

You can kill a child-process if the main process closes. Forcefully closing the main process in App-V 4.X is not possible with any App-V specific means

• Marked as answer by Sujit J Thursday, September 5, 2013 4:52 AM
    Friday, August 30, 2013 6:38 AM