none
Basic backup questions from a new user RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I'm new to DPM and was wondering where the best place would be to ask some really basic questions (and hopefully get some answers).  Before i start firing off the questions, i just wanted to make sure this is the correct place to ask them.

Also, would there be a 'best practices' type of site or reference someone could recommend?  I've gone through the TechNet articles, and they've been some help.

Just a little background: Using DPM2010 (formerly BackupExec 10d), single tape drive, single office, physical and virtual servers.

Thanks All!

Chris

Friday, November 12, 2010 9:44 PM

Answers

• Hi Chris!

Depending on how your enviroment / domain is designed you may consider different things regarding how you will use your DPM 2010 sollution. Though there are some basic best-prectice scenarios that you could consider:

1. Install the DPM database DPMDB locally on the DPM server not on a remote SQL
    2. Use minimum 4 GB RAM, if you got more thats great
    3. If you will protect Hyper-V you must install the hotfixes KB975921 and KB975354 on your hosts
    4. If you got VSS hardware providor you can use the SAN to make snapshots of your VHD's if not you must enable serialized backups (http://robertanddpm.blogspot.com/2010/07/enabling-serialized-backup-of-hyper-v.html)
    5. Use a physical server for your DPM server
    6. If you must install DPM on a virtual server use pass-through disks for your DPM diskpool

I hope this gives you a good start. If you got further questions please post them.

BR

Robert Hedblom

Check out my DPM blog @ http://robertanddpm.blogspot.com

Friday, November 12, 2010 9:58 PM
  • The forum is a great place to ask any questions which you may have. There are good experienced customers, DPM support professionals and the DPM product group on the forum who share knowledge.
    Thanks, Kapil Malhotra [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Saturday, November 13, 2010 3:50 PM

All replies

• Hi Chris!

Depending on how your enviroment / domain is designed you may consider different things regarding how you will use your DPM 2010 sollution. Though there are some basic best-prectice scenarios that you could consider:

1. Install the DPM database DPMDB locally on the DPM server not on a remote SQL
    2. Use minimum 4 GB RAM, if you got more thats great
    3. If you will protect Hyper-V you must install the hotfixes KB975921 and KB975354 on your hosts
    4. If you got VSS hardware providor you can use the SAN to make snapshots of your VHD's if not you must enable serialized backups (http://robertanddpm.blogspot.com/2010/07/enabling-serialized-backup-of-hyper-v.html)
    5. Use a physical server for your DPM server
    6. If you must install DPM on a virtual server use pass-through disks for your DPM diskpool

I hope this gives you a good start. If you got further questions please post them.

BR

Robert Hedblom

Check out my DPM blog @ http://robertanddpm.blogspot.com

Friday, November 12, 2010 9:58 PM
  • The forum is a great place to ask any questions which you may have. There are good experienced customers, DPM support professionals and the DPM product group on the forum who share knowledge.
    Thanks, Kapil Malhotra [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Saturday, November 13, 2010 3:50 PM
  • Thanks Robert and Kapil.  Much appreciated!

Quick question: What data is stored in the DPMDB?  Is a copy of what i'm saving onto tape, saved onto this DB as well?

Also, does it make sense to create three Protection Groups (daily, weekly, monthly) and switching out the tape per Protection Group?  I'm coming from a BackupExec background and i'm still trying to figure out if this is the best way to do this as we only have a single tape device.  Hope this makes sense.
    Monday, November 15, 2010 9:21 PM