DPM Storage Pool RRS feed

• Question

• Is there any way to shrink the total disk capacity of my DPM storage pool?

DPM Pool Summary

Total Disk Capacity (GB):  18617.00

Disk Allocated (GB):  8663.45

Disk Used (GB):  3977.53

Regards, Andrew

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 12:59 PM

Answers

• We are trying to get DPM to release some disk space from the 18 TB so we can use it for other applications.  Right now DPM is only using 4 TB and has 8 TB allocated but we cannot use the remainder.

Regards, Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Is your virtual disk on a SAN? If so can you re-architect your storage and carve up 8TB for DPM? Remember you don't want to present the entire 18TB to the DPM server as a disk and add this into the storage pool. DPM will use the entire disk. You want to only present an 8TB volume to DPM.

Now being that DPM is already using the 18TB this may present a problem because you will need to do something with the protected data as you redo your storage.

My Blog | www.buchatech.com | www.dpm2010.com

If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer". This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights! Always test ANY suggestion in a test environment before implementing!

• Edited by BuchatechMVP Wednesday, March 28, 2012 2:35 PM
    • Proposed as answer by BuchatechMVP Wednesday, March 28, 2012 5:28 PM
    • Marked as answer by ASAMMUT Thursday, March 29, 2012 1:34 PM
    Wednesday, March 28, 2012 2:35 PM

All replies

• Is there any way to shrink the total disk capacity of my DPM storage pool?

DPM Pool Summary

Total Disk Capacity (GB):  18617.00

Disk Allocated (GB):  8663.45

Disk Used (GB):  3977.53

Regards, Andrew

Hi Andrew,

If I am understanding your question right you will need to remove a disk from the storage pool.

If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer". This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights! Always test ANY suggestion in a test environment before implementing!

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 6:36 PM
  • Unfortunately we only have 1 virtual disk.

Regards, Andrew

Wednesday, March 28, 2012 2:13 PM
  • Unfortunately we only have 1 virtual disk.

Regards, Andrew

Hi Andrew,

You would need to carve up the storage into smaller volumes and bring that into the DPM storage pool.

I do not know the background to your storage but this is essentially what you would need to do.

Wednesday, March 28, 2012 2:23 PM
  • We are trying to get DPM to release some disk space from the 18 TB so we can use it for other applications.  Right now DPM is only using 4 TB and has 8 TB allocated but we cannot use the remainder.

Regards, Andrew

Wednesday, March 28, 2012 2:27 PM

Regards, Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Is your virtual disk on a SAN? If so can you re-architect your storage and carve up 8TB for DPM? Remember you don't want to present the entire 18TB to the DPM server as a disk and add this into the storage pool. DPM will use the entire disk. You want to only present an 8TB volume to DPM.

Now being that DPM is already using the 18TB this may present a problem because you will need to do something with the protected data as you redo your storage.

• Edited by BuchatechMVP Wednesday, March 28, 2012 2:35 PM
    • Proposed as answer by BuchatechMVP Wednesday, March 28, 2012 5:28 PM
    • Marked as answer by ASAMMUT Thursday, March 29, 2012 1:34 PM
    Wednesday, March 28, 2012 2:35 PM