none
Failed to find enough suitable disks for recreating all critical disks. 0X80042408

Question

• Our Dell Server is failing, so Dell sent us a replacement server. We want to do a bare-metal restore so that we don't have to re-install SBS. We have tried to do the restore but it fails with:  Failed to find enough suitable disks for recreating all critical disks. 0X80042408

Our old server consists of the following:

Raid 5 configuration:
    Physical Drive = 930GB
    Virtual disks = C: (100GB) E: (830GB)

The new Dell Server was shipped already partitioned and consists of the following:

Raid 5 Configuration:
    Physical Drive = 930GB
    Virtual disks = C: (300GB) E: (630GB)

Should I remove the partitions on the new dell server, so that the Bare-Metal Restore creates the partition how the old server was configured?

Brad Nelson MCSE/DCSE/A+/Network+/WCSP

Sunday, August 05, 2012 6:46 PM

All replies

• Yes! Delete all logical partitions and allow the restoration process to recreate them as the reference system. For more information see the following Technet blog article:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/askcore/archive/2011/05/12/bare-metal-restore.aspx

Please VOTE as HELPFUL if the post helps you and remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Edited by R.Alikhani Sunday, August 05, 2012 7:10 PM
    Sunday, August 05, 2012 7:02 PM
  • Thanks for the reply.

I removed all partitions, tried it again and it failed with same error.

Sunday, August 05, 2012 7:52 PM
  • May the following thread helps you:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsbackup/thread/3cda72aa-9c45-49cd-a53f-cc67889bb14e/

Please VOTE as HELPFUL if the post helps you and remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Sunday, August 05, 2012 8:19 PM
  • I dont beleive that document applies to this situation, becuase I have 2 volumes that are considered critical by SBS, when doing a bare-metal backup it selects C: and E: to backup. I also ran the wbadmin utility to verify that only C: and E: are considered critical.

I logged back into the server to get the actual disk space:

Disk 0
    C: = 97.65GB Capactity / 13GB Free
    F: = 832GB Capacity / 695GB Free

Disk 1
    D: = 3072GB Capactiy / 3025GB Free
    E: = 651GB Capacity / 590GB Free

I'm assuming drive E: on Disk 1 is considered "critical" by SBS because its storing the Exchange/Sharepoint/Shared Folders? On the new server that i removed the partitions on, do i need to use diskpart to remove volumes too?

Monday, August 06, 2012 12:20 AM
  • Hi,

The error 0x80042408 indicates that one of the critical disk to which restore is happening is smaller than the original critical disk size. Try replacing the disk with a bigger one.

Thanks,

Monday, August 06, 2012 8:15 AM
  • Jeff,

Thanks for the reply, but im aware what the error says and means and the hardware is like in size.

Here is the current configuration of the server:

Old Server:
    Disk 1: 1TB Drive
    Disk 2: 2TB Drive

New Server:
    Disk 1: 1TB Drive
    Disk 2: 2TB Drive

They are identical in size. I've even tried creating partitions on the new server to match the old server's partitions, that didnt work. So i removed the partitions and tried it, and that didnt work.

I went back last night and did another backup selectiong only "Bare-Metal Backup" (which selects C: and E: volumes) and tried another restore and still get the same error. Could it be the Raid 5 array?

Monday, August 06, 2012 8:40 AM
  • Hello, I wonder if you ever found out a solution for this issue, as I am seeing the same in my case.

I made a windows server 2008 r2 64 bit windows backup (Bare-Metal Backup), this version of windows is running in a VM (VMWare).

Then I am trying to use this version to restore another copy of a vm so that I have this version on that and am getting this error.

the original system has

C:40GB
    E:40GB
    The vm instance where I am trying to restore this has 100GB in it so fairly larger...

I deleted the partitions as recommended above but has no effect..

Thanks

Friday, October 11, 2013 10:34 PM
  • Just to add that you must set all disks being restored to be bigger than the original disk size, but if that still fails then you can use the workaround here: 0x80042408 Windows backup restore error

Tuesday, January 03, 2017 11:47 PM
  • Hi,

The error 0x80042408 indicates that one of the critical disk to which restore is happening is smaller than the original critical disk size. Try replacing the disk with a bigger one.

Thanks,

I got the same error, and my replacement disks are definitly larger, and of the same type. https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/494e86aa-ebbb-4fc8-9300-675c4797c10f/restore-from-system-image-of-mirrored-volumes-fails-0x80042408?forum=winserverfiles
    Thursday, May 10, 2018 1:00 PM