Best configuration for Outlook 2016, Gmail and iPhone RRS feed

• Question

• I couldn't get my Windows 7, Outlook 2013 and iCloud worlds to align, so I decided to start from scratch - upgraded my PC to Windows 10 Home and subscribed to Office 365. I'm looking for someone to suggest the best configuration to get these three to play together nicely.

My default Email account is Gmail. I may, from time-to-time map an additional Email account to Outlook, but I want my base account to work right. I use an iPhone for calendar and contacts, and they're backed up in iCloud.

I want to use the Outlook client when I'm sitting in front of my PC. My Inbox and folders should come from my Gmail account. Calendar invitations that I get in Gmail should post to the calendar. The calendar and contacts in Outlook should sync to my iPhone so that any calendar entry or contact addition, either on the iPhone or via Outlook, gets backed up to iCloud.

I had all this working at one point on my work PC using Outlook 2016, Windows 10 Pro and iCloud for Windows, but I had the help of my IT support person. I'm working independently now from home, and need to support myself!

I'm not afraid to edit registry entries, etc., and I've surfed this site and got some good ideas. But I didn't want to start until I got some suggestions.

Thanks, in advance, for your help.
    Sunday, April 22, 2018 11:53 PM

All replies

• I want to use the Outlook client when I'm sitting in front of my PC. My Inbox and folders should come from my Gmail account. Calendar invitations that I get in Gmail should post to the calendar. The calendar and contacts in Outlook should sync to my iPhone so that any calendar entry or contact addition, either on the iPhone or via Outlook, gets backed up to iCloud.

Hi Pops-CMH,

Generally, when a Gmail account is added via IMAP into your Outlook for Windows as the primary account, you'll see the calendar and contacts folder labeled with "this computer only".

According to the suggestion provided by Diane in the following thread which discusses a relevant scenario, "Calendar and contacts can be synced between Outlook and iPhone using iCloud - if you only use IMAP accounts and have the calendar & contacts in 'this computer only' folders, the iCloud is a pretty good solution as it moves the calendar and contacts into the iCloud, which reduces accidental loss ":

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_outlook-mso_win10-mso_2016/outlook-2016-wont-sync-with-meetings-created-in/87f63ee4-678a-4b6b-8e24-9d5f9c413c16

You may refer to the discussion in the link above for the steps to sync Gmail with Outlook and iCloud. Then sorry but here we mainly focus on general issues about Outlook desktop client for Windows or Mac system, if you would like further assistance on this issue, personally I'd like to encourage also contact the customer support to iCloud for more detailed instructions. Thanks for your understanding and support. 

Regards,

Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Monday, April 23, 2018 6:26 AM