Windows7 can no longer connect to a network printer. Access is denied error RRS feed

• Question

• I have 2 computers: a desktop running Windows7 64bit SP1 and a laptop running Windows7 64bit SP1.   I have a Brother HL-2140 printer connected via USB to the desktop and set up as a shared printer.  At one point, I connected to the printer from my laptop and everything was fine.  Recently, I tried to print to it (I don't often use it from my laptop) and nothing happened.  I checked the print queue and the document was there but the printer status was offline.  I checked the desktop and it said the printer was Ready.

I removed the printer from my laptop printer list and uninstalled/reinstalled the driver and tried to reconnect to it and I get an access denied error.

I've checked the forum and tried all the suggestions (i.e. connecting as a local port, etc.), nothing works.  Again, it did work some time ago.  I can only assume that something on the desktop has changed, but the only changes have been windows updates.

I would appreciate any suggestions you might have.

Thanks.

Saturday, December 29, 2012 7:52 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I suggest you try to share the printer again form the desktop side.

To share your printer

1. Open Devices and Printers by clicking the Start button, and then, on the Start menu, clicking Devices and Printers.

2. Right-click the printer you want to share, and then click Printer properties.

3. Click the Sharing tab, and select the Share this printer check box.

To add a network printer

1. Open Devices and Printers by clicking the Start button, and then, on the Start menu, clicking Devices and Printers.

2. Click Add a printer.

3. Click Add a network, wireless, or Bluetooth printer, click the shared printer, click Next, and follow the instructions on the screen.

More information you can refer to Share a printer.

Hope this helps.

Vincent Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, December 31, 2012 6:02 AM
  • Vincent.

Thanks for the quick response.  Unfortunately, I've tried that and no-go.  I'm thinking that, somehow, the SP1 update has something to do with the problem.  Just a guess.  Any other suggestions?

Thanks again.

Monday, December 31, 2012 12:15 PM