none
SBS 2008 (not R2) 0xf4 BSOD on every boot

Question

• Hello,

Last night, I was installing updates on our PDC after verifying the updates would work on our virtualized server.  We had been having trouble with them since February, but I found that I could boot into safe mode if there was a problem with an update, remove it, and regain full access to the server.

Unfortunately, it hit a BSOD flagging a System Service Exception -- code 0x3b associated with avgStmXP.sys on the shutdown phase of the restart after updates.
    Subsequently, the server always crashes with a BSOD 0xf4 regardless of whether I am starting normally or in any variant of safe mode.
    I read some articles recently indicating that others had encountered similar problems with conflicts between Avast products and windows updates.
    I managed to boot with the install media, and can access the disk and even run chkdsk on it, which it passed.  The disk is a RAID5 array, and I used a boot disk to check the SMART data on the component drives and ran the short tests to verify that it is not a hardware problem.
    Sadly, this is our PDC, so it made quite a mess so to speak.
    Can you shed any light on this problem and (hopefully) provide a solution or at least some insight in to this problem?
    Thank you.

Sunday, May 26, 2019 4:12 AM

All replies

• HI,

1 do you have clickonce application on SBS2008 ?
    "0x000000F4" Stop error when you try to start a ClickOnce application in Windows Vista, in Windows 7, in Windows Server 2008 or in Windows Server 2008 R2
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2675806/0x000000f4-stop-error-when-you-try-to-start-a-clickonce-application-in
    2How to use Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE) to troubleshoot common startup issues
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-sg/help/4026030/how-to-use-windows-recovery-environment-winre-to-troubleshoot-common-s
    Windows Server 2008 Repair Steps for No Boot Issues
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/4162.windows-server-2008-repair-steps-for-no-boot-issues.aspx
    3can you upload the CBS.log
    %WinDir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, May 27, 2019 3:57 PM
  • hi,
    Is there any progress on your question?

Best Regards
    Andy YOU
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, May 30, 2019 2:15 PM
  • Is there anything to help you?

Best Regards
    Andy YOU

Sunday, June 2, 2019 6:31 AM
  • Thanks for your response.  I will have a look at those links you sent.  For the time being, I had to promote the virtual machine we were using, and I've mitigated most of the issues in terms of how the users access the domain.  However, we have one user whose MSExchange data was still on the old server, and unfortunately she's having a rough time. There are also issues with the CA, but I've managed to get the new DC to issue certs anyway.

Sorry not to respond earlier.  I'll check those links and get a copy of the CBS.log to peruse.

Thanks for your help.

Friday, June 7, 2019 3:47 AM