Sharepoint site migration RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I would like to know what is the best way to migrate a Sharepoint Web Application ( with site collections, content database and basically everything) from one Sharepoint 2010 server to another Sharepoint 2010 server.

Thank you very much

Best Regards,

Sabrin Alexander

Microsoft Server Expert - MCSA/MCDST

Wednesday, March 28, 2012 7:05 AM

All replies

• Hello,

If you mean that you want to migrate Web application from one farm to the other you can use the following steps

1- setup a new SQL with the specs you want (sql cluster, one node or anything)

2-setup a sharepoint farm (with any conf, one FE or all roles on one server) then create web application and site collection

3- back up the site database from your old environment files, and copy the physical files from the IIS directory.

4-restore the DB in your new environment, deattach the database created by the new webapp and attach the restored database to the webapp

5-paste the physical files and do the needed modifications in the web.config (if you have any connection strings or sth like that)

hope this is helpful,

Thank you

Wednesday, March 28, 2012 7:54 AM
  • Hi!

Thanks for the reply. I have one issue with this. After I do everything you proposed, I get a search page by default and not the team page.

Regards,

Wednesday, March 28, 2012 10:59 AM
  • what do you mean by get a search page by default, in step 3 you create a new web application and a new site collection, in this step you choose the type of site collection, you can choose team, search or anything you want
    Thursday, March 29, 2012 4:34 AM
  • Hi,

I do all the steps, only after creating the new web app, creating the new site collection as team and linking the restored database, I somehow get a Sharepoint search as a default.

Regards,

Sunday, April 1, 2012 6:50 AM
  • that's not supposed to happen, was the old site you backed up was a search page ?
    Sunday, April 1, 2012 7:15 AM
  • HI,

I'm doing this testing on another site which I know exactly which content it's supposed to be and I'll let you know.

Thanks for the feedback

Regards,

Sunday, April 1, 2012 12:23 PM
  • Then please ask this over in the SharePoint 2010 forums.

Imagine what we could be...if we could just imagine. | Daniel A. Galant | Sr. SharePoint Solutions Architect EPC Group.net

Sunday, April 1, 2012 6:30 PM