Stop Skype Automatic Updates RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Guys, 

I have a problem of stopping "Personal/not business" Skype 8.x and 12.x automatic updates for the active directory users.  

I have tried to stop it using a group policy that are described in the below link and other solutions: 

I cant go to every single PC and change the registry key to stop Skype form updating, I need a centralized solution, since WSUS cant support Skype updates. 

I thought that I can block the ui.skype.com on the sophos firewall, but maybe it could that Skype wont work for everyone and I cant risk it.

Please help !

Thursday, May 17, 2018 11:26 AM

All replies

• Hi Mohammad,

Please add this regedit in the the GPO,it will prevent the Skype update

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Skype\Phone\" DisableVersionCheck"=dword:00000001

You also could refer to the following link.

http://gils-playlist.weebly.com/tidbits-blog/disabling-skype-automatic-updates

If you do not know how to set a GPO ,you could refer to this link(After setting the GPO,you could run the "gpupdate /force").

http://thesolving.com/server-room/how-to-deploy-a-registry-key-via-group-policy/

Note: Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. The sites are not controlled by Microsoft. Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. Please make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any suggestions from the above link.

Best Regards,
    Leon Lu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Friday, May 18, 2018 7:22 AM
  • Hi,

Are there any update for this issue, if the reply is helpful to you, please try to mark it as an answer, it will help others who has similar issue.

Best Regards,
    Leon Lu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Monday, May 21, 2018 9:21 AM
  • Hi ,

Do you have some updates? If the reply help to you ,please mark the reply as answer.

Best Regards,
    Leon Lu

Wednesday, May 23, 2018 2:26 AM
  •  

Hello Leon Lu, 

Thank you for your response.

I have followed your suggestion and applied the registry edit as GPO, but the Skype update kept popping up. 
    I have no Idea how to stop those annoying updates !!

Best Regards, 
    Mohammad Al-Mbaidheen

Wednesday, May 30, 2018 2:42 PM
  • Please changed the register in one pc,does it work normally?i set this in my test lab, the auto update is gray.

Best Regards,
    Leon Lu

Thursday, June 7, 2018 9:43 AM