Rights Management Add-On Issue with Windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I'm working in an AD RMS project with a customer and I'm having issues displaying RMS protected e-mails with OWA (Exchange 2007).

We're testing with 3 Windows 7 (IE8) machines, and when we try to open a protected e-mail we're asked to install the IE add-on, (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=B48F920B-5AF0-46B4-994F-2F62582CC86F&displaylang=en) which we have installed. But after install the add-on and try to disply the protected message, IE hangs with a blank page.

We try this with the 3 machines with the same result. Any thought on what may be the problem? (Everything works fine with Outlook and other Office apps) 

Something I noticed is that in the IE add-on download page, Windows Vista and 7 are not listed as supported O.S., so is there another IE add-on for Win Vista and 7.

Thanks in advance for any help!

-JP

Tuesday, July 13, 2010 7:01 PM

Answers

• If you don't have the IE add-on installed and you attempt to open an RMS email, then it should direct you to the website to download the add-on. This should work for Windows 7, as I've gotten it to work on several Windows 7 machines. One thing you could try is uninstalling and re-installing the addon or run IE in compatibility mode for all websites (at least until the add-on is installed). One thing to note is that you should restart IE after the add-on is installed. Also make sure that the OWA address is in the Trusted Sites security zone.

Another way to force the install of the IE add-on is, from an Outlook client, send a test email to your Hotmail account and secure it using your Windows Live ID. When you open it within Hotmail, it will prompt to install the IE add-on. Note that you have to have the Windows Live ID Trusted User Domain configured on the RMS cluster in order to RMS-protect and email using a Windows Live ID.

Wednesday, August 11, 2010 6:24 PM

All replies

• This same issue has occurred with me on two Windows 7 machines, but not on two others.  Very odd issue.  I was able to get one working by resetting IE to its default settings, but that trick didn't work on the other two.
    Tuesday, August 10, 2010 6:57 PM
  • If you don't have the IE add-on installed and you attempt to open an RMS email, then it should direct you to the website to download the add-on. This should work for Windows 7, as I've gotten it to work on several Windows 7 machines. One thing you could try is uninstalling and re-installing the addon or run IE in compatibility mode for all websites (at least until the add-on is installed). One thing to note is that you should restart IE after the add-on is installed. Also make sure that the OWA address is in the Trusted Sites security zone.

Another way to force the install of the IE add-on is, from an Outlook client, send a test email to your Hotmail account and secure it using your Windows Live ID. When you open it within Hotmail, it will prompt to install the IE add-on. Note that you have to have the Windows Live ID Trusted User Domain configured on the RMS cluster in order to RMS-protect and email using a Windows Live ID.

Wednesday, August 11, 2010 6:24 PM
  • Has anyone found a resolution to this issue?  I am working with a a customer with the same issue.  It does not happen to all machines and it occurs on both Windows Xp and Windows 7.  IE locks up and you have to use task manager to kill it.  If you save the message to the local drive it will open fine.  Any ideas?
    Friday, March 25, 2011 12:43 AM