Can't figure out why my PC suddenly started not being able to handle multiple tasks without performance lag RRS feed

• Question

• Ok so about a week ago after no changes to my system or new software my PC started to not be able to handle multiple processes it had no trouble with before. I have a dual monitor set up and frequently play something like Netflix or Winamp on one screen while playing Video games on the other. I never had any lag or performance issues to speak of. I am stumped on what the issue could be. I am by no means excellent with computers, but I'm not a novice either. I simply am not sure where to start in deciphering my problem. When I run one thing at a time like Winamp I experience no issues, however if I try to play a game by itself I do experience performance issues where I didn't before. I assume this is because a game takes more from my machine than a media player. Any suggestions on how to begin figuring this out would be appreciated. 

Here are two screens from my Task Manager while I am not running anything. Below the images I will post the first part of my DX Diag. Let me know if anyone needs to see anymore of it as I know most of it is not needed.

Thanks to anyone that can help.

------------------
    System Information
    ------------------
    Time of this report: 8/31/2012, 03:42:43
           Machine name: BRAD-PC
       Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.120503-2030)
               Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
           System Model: P55A-UD3
                   BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
              Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU         760  @ 2.80GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.8GHz
                 Memory: 4096MB RAM
    Available OS Memory: 4088MB RAM
              Page File: 2524MB used, 5648MB available
            Windows Dir: C:\Windows
        DirectX Version: DirectX 11
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
       User DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
     System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
        DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
         DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 32bit Unicode

------------
    DxDiag Notes
    ------------
          Display Tab 1: No problems found.
          Display Tab 2: No problems found.
            Sound Tab 1: No problems found.
            Sound Tab 2: No problems found.
            Sound Tab 3: No problems found.
            Sound Tab 4: No problems found.
              Input Tab: No problems found.

--------------------
    DirectX Debug Levels
    --------------------
    Direct3D:    0/4 (retail)
    DirectDraw:  0/4 (retail)
    DirectInput: 0/5 (retail)
    DirectMusic: 0/5 (retail)
    DirectPlay:  0/9 (retail)
    DirectSound: 0/5 (retail)
    DirectShow:  0/6 (retail)

---------------
    Display Devices
    ---------------
              Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460
           Manufacturer: NVIDIA
              Chip type: GeForce GTX 460
               DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
             Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0E22&SUBSYS_216619DA&REV_A1
         Display Memory: 2766 MB
       Dedicated Memory: 978 MB
          Shared Memory: 1787 MB
           Current Mode: 1728 x 1026 (32 bit) (30Hz)
           Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor
          Monitor Model: TOSHIBA-TV
             Monitor Id: TSB1205
            Native Mode: 1280 x 720(p) (60.000Hz)
            Output Type: HDMI
            Driver Name: nvd3dumx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvd3dum,nvwgf2um,nvwgf2um
    Driver File Version: 8.17.0013.0142 (English)
         Driver Version: 8.17.13.142
            DDI Version: 11
           Driver Model: WDDM 1.1
      Driver Attributes: Final Retail
       Driver Date/Size: 5/15/2012 05:48:00, 18044224 bytes
            WHQL Logo'd: Yes
        WHQL Date Stamp: 
      Device Identifier: {D7B71E3E-4D62-11CF-E47A-6B011FC2C535}
              Vendor ID: 0x10DE
              Device ID: 0x0E22
              SubSys ID: 0x216619DA
            Revision ID: 0x00A1
     Driver Strong Name: oem32.inf:NVIDIA_SetA_Devices.NTamd64.6.1:Section015:8.17.13.142:pci\ven_10de&dev_0e22
         Rank Of Driver: 00E62001
            Video Accel: ModeMPEG2_A ModeMPEG2_C ModeVC1_C ModeWMV9_C "
    Friday, August 31, 2012 8:59 AM

Answers

• Do you have any temperature monitoring programs in place (I didn't notice anything in Task Manager)? If the case hasn't been cleaned out in a while, it might be time to check that. Look for dust on any of the fans and heatsinks, and the components. Heat build-up will cause the CPU (and the GPU) to throttle back to keep themselves from overheating.

Have you done a malware scan lately? Could be some nasty running in the background that doesn't show in task manager.

If the problem persists, you can start here to help determine the possible cause:
    How to "clean boot" in Windows 7    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/331796
    How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

SC Tom

• Marked as answer by brdavis386 Friday, August 31, 2012 4:03 PM
    Friday, August 31, 2012 12:39 PM

All replies

• Do you have any temperature monitoring programs in place (I didn't notice anything in Task Manager)? If the case hasn't been cleaned out in a while, it might be time to check that. Look for dust on any of the fans and heatsinks, and the components. Heat build-up will cause the CPU (and the GPU) to throttle back to keep themselves from overheating.

Have you done a malware scan lately? Could be some nasty running in the background that doesn't show in task manager.

If the problem persists, you can start here to help determine the possible cause:
    How to "clean boot" in Windows 7    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/331796
    How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

SC Tom

• Marked as answer by brdavis386 Friday, August 31, 2012 4:03 PM
    Friday, August 31, 2012 12:39 PM
  • Well now I feel slightly silly. I cleaned out the machine and it seems to be working fine. I just cleaned it a month or so ago and generally clean it every couple months. I just moved to a new place and have the space it is in is smaller (with pets) so maybe that would explain why the dust collected quicker than usual. I think I will just bump up my cleaning schedule and if I have performance issues beyond that I will try these other methods. Thank you for your help!

Friday, August 31, 2012 4:03 PM
  • You're welcome! I'm glad it was something simple (that "clean boot" procedure can certainly take some time).

I have a long-hair cat, and I have to vacuum mine out at least once a month, and that's with the mini-tower on a stand about 18" off the floor. It's amazing how much an "indoor only" cat can shed. If I could transplant it, I wouldn't have to wear a hat outdoors :-)

SC Tom

Friday, August 31, 2012 4:35 PM