"The server is not connected to the Internet" RRS feed

• Question

• I have install Server 2012 R2 Datacentre Preview. I then installed Hyper-V and lastly the Server Essentials role.

Server Essentials is running in the parent partition - not a VM.

The Anywhere Access wizard now insists that it is not connected to the internet when it clearly is. I have set up DNS forwarders on the DNS Server and browsing works fine etc.

I read somewhere that this can happen because it will only try to use the Physical Adapters to connect to the internet and now Hyper-V role is installed the actual NIC with TCP/IP is a Virtual NIC created by the Hyper-V Network Switch - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/d2cc3f94-8f97-43cc-ae44-f9a38f64bbf4/the-server-is-not-connected-to-the-internet 

Any ideas?

Justin

Friday, July 5, 2013 3:46 PM

Answers

• Justin, Essentials R2 is not supported to run seamlessly with Hyper-V role on the same host. But from technical perspective, I think your problem is just the Anywhere Access wizard can't recognize the adapter virtualized by Hyper-V during its connectivity check. The AA functionalites (RWA, VPN, etc) should still work, if I am correct. You could try.

Tuesday, July 9, 2013 5:20 AM

All replies

• I would not expect this to work.  You need to install the HyperV role and just have that as the only role in the parent.  Don't try to install both in the parent.
    Friday, July 5, 2013 9:51 PM
  • Hi,

Why would you expect this to not work - many application can work very happily alongside Hyper-V? I know of virtually none that can't - other than this role.

Justin

Saturday, July 6, 2013 6:56 PM
  • 1.  For one the virtual nic messes with resolving.  That wizard doesn't work well with teamed nics historically.

2.  I do not expect Microsoft to support HyperV role on a Domain controller.  Essentials HAS to be a DC unless it sees a DC.

Sunday, July 7, 2013 12:10 AM
  • I understand it is not best policy but it is the way it has to run (for various reasons)

Hopefully I should be able to fix it by adding a separate physical NIC and dedicate it to Hyper-V. This will allow the current NIC to be a standard "physical" NIC running TCP/IP.

Justin

Monday, July 8, 2013 10:08 AM
  • I understand this will put my network at risk, my domain controller at risk, mess up wizards and be all around a bad idea.

(I'm sorry for the attitude here, but first and foremost I'm checking with the product team if they even want this to occur in the first place)

Nothing HAS to run in a non supported manner.  Nothing HAS to run where the hyperV role is also a domain controller.  Ultimately it's about your pocket book and resources.

Monday, July 8, 2013 1:05 PM
  • That was not a helpful post.

For anyone who has met the same problem I have confirmed the issue is to do with the Hyper-V virtual NIC, and will let you know if the problem goes away by adding a 2nd NIC as mentioned above.

• Edited by Justin How Monday, July 8, 2013 3:13 PM revise
    Monday, July 8, 2013 2:51 PM
  • Justin, Essentials R2 is not supported to run seamlessly with Hyper-V role on the same host. But from technical perspective, I think your problem is just the Anywhere Access wizard can't recognize the adapter virtualized by Hyper-V during its connectivity check. The AA functionalites (RWA, VPN, etc) should still work, if I am correct. You could try.

Tuesday, July 9, 2013 5:20 AM
  • Hi Chungang,

This is server not in a production environment and I have no issues that it is an unsupported configuration.

I have temporarily removed the Virtual NIC for Hyper-V (which I am not currently using) and the wizard runs fine.

When I did have the Virtual NIC on, it appeared to be just the wizard which got upset - just as you say. The remote website was ok etc.

I will add a 2nd physical NIC to the server and then dedicate one of them to Hyper-V. I suspect then the wizard will still be happy - time will tell.

Justin

Tuesday, July 9, 2013 8:55 AM