none
Where does MS Project saves task interruptions? Is there a hidden table of interruption dates? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

it is possible to interrupt tasks in MS Project using the toolbar and mouse. It is also possible to remove interruptions, again by using the mouse.

But is there any table where interruptions are saved in a more database like manner? (I cannot believe that graphical window and mouse is the only way to work with interruptions.)

Friday, June 22, 2012 10:22 AM

Answers

• otto.m

The only way to get the start and stop dates for multiple task splits using a non-server based installation of Project is to use VBA. The following macro stores the split part dates into extra start and finish fields. It is currently set up to handle up to 4 split parts. If you need more simply modify the code as necessary.

If I recall correctly VBA operates with English language based terminology so it should work fine with your German version. If not, it should be fairly easy for you to translate.

Sub StoreSplitParts()
    Dim t As Task
    Dim sp As SplitPart
    For Each t In ActiveProject.Tasks
        If Not t Is Nothing Then
            i = 1
            For Each sp In t.SplitParts
                If i = 1 Then
                    t.Finish1 = sp.Finish
                ElseIf i = 2 Then
                    t.Start2 = sp.Start
                    t.Finish2 = sp.Finish
                ElseIf i = 3 Then
                    t.Start3 = sp.Start
                    t.Finish3 = sp.Finish
                ElseIf i = 4 Then
                    t.Start4 = sp.Start
                    t.Finish4 = sp.Finish
                End If
                i = i + 1
            Next sp
        End If
    Next t
    End Sub

Hope this helps.

John

Sunday, June 24, 2012 4:03 PM

All replies

• Ho Otto,

I guess when you said 'interruption' it means task-split, wherein you are creating the split using mouse for drag and split. So, the information of the dates are stored in column -> Stop (saves the last date on which % Complete is reported) Resume (the date on which the activity is re-started). These dates get values when you split using mouse or when you manually add value to these fields.

Sapna S

Friday, June 22, 2012 10:35 AM
  • In Project Server or the desktop client?  In the former, I'd look in SQL at one of the "byDay" views to see if they capture the split.  If the latter, I'd export to Access and dig through that to see if maybe there's an obvious clue.

Andrew Lavinsky [MVP] Blog: http://azlav.umtblog.com Twitter: @alavinsky

Friday, June 22, 2012 8:40 PM
  • Hello Spna,

thank you for the response. It looks like this is the right source I am looking for. However, I am using a German version of Project. Do you have a translation table at hand and can tell me the German name for the columns "Stop" and "Resume"? (I have already looked for Halt, Stop, Fortsetzung but there are not such columns.)

Hello Andrew,

I am working with the desktop client (I believe standard edition).

Saturday, June 23, 2012 6:26 PM
  • Saturday, June 23, 2012 7:00 PM
  • Hello "Project User",

unfortunately, these columns are not the right ones. Please look at the screenshot below:

The suggested columns remain empty inspite there are several task splits.

@Sapna: what happens if you add more than one split within a task? Where are the other splits stored?

Sunday, June 24, 2012 8:49 AM
  • Not all split dates are saved in these 2 Custom Fields; in that case you can use the Custom Date to store split dates manually. Use Date 1 and Date 2 to store consecutive splits. The default column would just save the last split dates.Hope this help.

Sapna S

Sunday, June 24, 2012 9:20 AM
  • otto.m

The only way to get the start and stop dates for multiple task splits using a non-server based installation of Project is to use VBA. The following macro stores the split part dates into extra start and finish fields. It is currently set up to handle up to 4 split parts. If you need more simply modify the code as necessary.

If I recall correctly VBA operates with English language based terminology so it should work fine with your German version. If not, it should be fairly easy for you to translate.

Sub StoreSplitParts()
    Dim t As Task
    Dim sp As SplitPart
    For Each t In ActiveProject.Tasks
        If Not t Is Nothing Then
            i = 1
            For Each sp In t.SplitParts
                If i = 1 Then
                    t.Finish1 = sp.Finish
                ElseIf i = 2 Then
                    t.Start2 = sp.Start
                    t.Finish2 = sp.Finish