SCCM 2012 software distribution not able to distribute content for chrome RRS feed

• Question

• Hi I am using sccm 2012, need some advice, thanks! I tried to deploy chrome exe to a xp pc but the PC software centre shows downloading for very long time, more than a few hours. I created a 64bit chrome for a win7 pc and deployment also not working, it just failed. Then I downloaded a msi installer to deploy to an xp pc, the downloading also takes forever, I checked the distribution content, it's failed. I then created a DP group and add the single DP into it. but still not working. I did the work before for firefox and it did work before. Not sure what happened. Not sure where to check the log for software distribution, any advice please?thanks!

Thanks and best regards, -- KF

Wednesday, March 12, 2014 3:43 PM

Answers

• msiexec /i "ChromeStandaloneSetup.exe" /silent /install <--- This is your error.

You cannot use msiexec with .exe files, msiexec is for .msi -files only. You should re-create your application (I'm assuming you did the application with the wizard and that msiexec comes from there) and create a script-based (basically, this means that your install command can be any working command) deployment type and the install command should be "ChromeSetupStandAloneSetup.exe" /silent /install

Always:

• Test your installation command before implementing the application in ConfigMgr, test it with SYSTEM -account using "psexec.exe -s cmd"
    • Make sure that you know what detection method you use with your application
    • If something goes wrong in the ConfigMgr client end, check AppDiscovery.log, AppIntentEval.log and AppEnforce.log -logfiles

• Proposed as answer by Narcoticoo Thursday, March 13, 2014 4:43 AM
    • Edited by Narcoticoo Thursday, March 13, 2014 4:44 AM
    • Marked as answer by kongfupanda Thursday, March 13, 2014 3:45 PM
    Thursday, March 13, 2014 4:43 AM

All replies

• Is the content for the Chrome application distributed on the distribution point?

What command are you running for each targeted OS? What type are you using Application or Packages? What version of Chrome is it? Did you take the standalone package?

What does the log on client says?

Wednesday, March 12, 2014 4:24 PM
  • Hi, thanks fore reply.

The command is below for xp OS. I use application installed package.(which suppose to use for for exe by the way?)

msiexec /i "ChromeStandaloneSetup.exe" /silent /install

contect location \\mysccm\installers\softwaredistribution\

detection methed. File systems. Path and folder/file:

%ProgramFiles%\google

chrome

Error I can see from console - deployment status:

Deployment failed.

Timeout occurred

For the chromestandalone installer exe file ,it's successfully distributed to DP , when I checked the distribution status - content status.

Please advise thanks

Thursday, March 13, 2014 3:32 AM
  • msiexec /i "ChromeStandaloneSetup.exe" /silent /install <--- This is your error.

You cannot use msiexec with .exe files, msiexec is for .msi -files only. You should re-create your application (I'm assuming you did the application with the wizard and that msiexec comes from there) and create a script-based (basically, this means that your install command can be any working command) deployment type and the install command should be "ChromeSetupStandAloneSetup.exe" /silent /install

Always:

• Test your installation command before implementing the application in ConfigMgr, test it with SYSTEM -account using "psexec.exe -s cmd"
    • Make sure that you know what detection method you use with your application
    • If something goes wrong in the ConfigMgr client end, check AppDiscovery.log, AppIntentEval.log and AppEnforce.log -logfiles

• Proposed as answer by Narcoticoo Thursday, March 13, 2014 4:43 AM
    • Edited by Narcoticoo Thursday, March 13, 2014 4:44 AM
    • Marked as answer by kongfupanda Thursday, March 13, 2014 3:45 PM
    Thursday, March 13, 2014 4:43 AM
  • Thanks, Narcoticoo!your advice is helpful!

So, does it mean I can use xxxx.exe /install /silent for all other exe installers? And to find out the detection method, do I have to install the exe on a local pc to find out the actual directory it will install it (Then uninstall it)? and xxx.exe /uninstall is for uninstallation? Can I create a  bat file like chrome-install.bat to have one line like "ChromeSetupStandAloneSetup.exe /silent /install " as the the actual installer? Why there is a package option below application? it confused me ....

Thanks!

Thursday, March 13, 2014 3:50 PM
  • All Applications won't have the same silent installation command switches.

To find out the good one, 3 methods (there are others but these are enough in 99% of the case):

1/ Open readme.txt from the application vendor

2/ Launch xxx.exe /?

3/ www.itninja.com

Thursday, March 13, 2014 4:37 PM