Partial match XPath query for filtering event log RRS feed

• Question

• I've an application that logs errors in the event log in the following format:

<EventData>
    <Data>User: "Eddie"; Socket Error Code: 10060</Data>
     </EventData>
    iI want to filter all the events containing "Socket Error Code: 10060"
    Thanks in advance,

Monday, May 23, 2011 4:31 AM

All replies

• Hi,

In the console tree, expand Event Viewer, and then click the log that contains the event that you want to view.

On the View menu, click Filter.

Click the Filter tab (if it is not already selected).

Specify the filter options that you want, and then click OK.

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Wednesday, May 25, 2011 7:49 AM
  • It is in windows 2008 r2. There is no filter option under view menu but there is filter current log on the right side. And I already tried that, it doesn't have an option to use wildcard search to filter in Data. There is option to do manual xml query but xpath is not exactly same as standard. So I'm having trouble filtering by XPath. Contains in XPath doesn't seem to work or I'm doing something wrong.

Thursday, May 26, 2011 12:49 AM
  • Hi,

Does this thread help?

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/itprovistaapps/thread/9257749e-cee8-4bd9-8994-dcae7e8bea6e/

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Thursday, May 26, 2011 6:01 AM
  • Already checked that example, it is not a wildcard.

Thanks though :)

Friday, May 27, 2011 7:18 AM