Hyper-V virtual Switch with Team Adapter RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I'm testing Windows Server 2016 TP4 and installed Hyper-V and having a network issue in my VMs. I've have the following setup.

1 Team Adapter for Mangement of the Hyper-V Server (Windows Team, LACP, Status UP)
    1 Team Adapter for VMs (Windows Team, LACP, Status UP)
    1 vSwitch for VMs, Type External, Connected to the Team Adapter for VMs, management not allowed
    1 VM with a Network Adapter connected to vSwitch and appropriate VLAN ID configured

In this scenario the VM doesn't reach any network device including the gateway. On pinging the gateway I get the response "destination host unreachable" from my own IP address. 

I installed several Hyper V 2012R2 hosts the same way, therefore I suspected a configuration issue on the switch (i.e. trunk config), but the config seems just fine. So, here is the strange thing. If I configure the Hyper-V switch to use a single network adapter, instead of the team, the network connection in my VM works just fine. 

Did anything change here in Windows 2016 or could this be a bug? Any ideas for troubleshooting?

Regards,
    Michael

Wednesday, February 24, 2016 5:21 PM

All replies

• In Windows Server 2016 TP4 the Switch Embedded Teaming was introduced.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt403307.aspx#bkmk_rdmaIt works with normal NICs and RDMA as well.

Reproduced below

SET is an alternative NIC Teaming solution that you can use in environments that include Hyper-V and the Software Defined Networking (SDN) stack in Windows Server 2016 Technical Preview. SET integrates some of the NIC Teaming functionality into the Hyper-V Virtual Switch.

SET allows you to group between one and eight physical Ethernet network adapters into one or more software-based virtual network adapters. These virtual network adapters provide fast performance and fault tolerance in the event of a network adapter failure. SET member network adapters must all be installed in the same physical Hyper-V host to be placed in a team.

It may be that this has introduced a bug into the normal teaming process.

Try this way and see.

Yours

Ed

If you found this helpful please mark as the answer.

Wednesday, February 24, 2016 9:49 PM
  • Hi Ed,

thank you, I checked the resources. If I understand it right, this affects only RDMA, which I do not use. I'd expect, that the usual NIC Teaming still works with Hyper-V, doesn't it?

Michael

Thursday, February 25, 2016 6:57 AM
  • SET works with RDMA AND ordinary NICS. as far as I can tell - not used it yet...

the key is that it NOW works with RDMA too.

SET is just part of the new Software defined networking story to allow automation of the network

Thursday, February 25, 2016 9:56 AM
  • Ok, that's interesting. If I use

- NIC Teaming with LACP and VLAN tag in VM it's not working
    - NIC Teaming Switch Independent and VLAN tag in VM it's not working
    - NIC Teaming Switch Independent and VLAN tag on physical network port (switch) it's working!
    - Virtual Switch Teaming and VLAN tag in VM is also working!

I'm not sure if this is the desired behavior?1

Config for virtual switch teaming without RDMA look like: 

New-VMSwitch -Name <Name> -NetAdapterName <Adapter1>,<Adapter2> -EnableEmbeddedTeaming $true

Also: Is it possible to use LACP with Virtual Switch Teaming?

For now this is a nice workaround. But LACP is our standard config.

Michael

Thursday, February 25, 2016 6:08 PM