move files and folders RRS feed

• Question

• We are running server 2003 on the server and windows 7 Pro and ultimate on the work stations.  When we try to move a file or folder many times we are not allowed to because the system says the folder or file is open in another program.  This is usually not the case.  The only way we can move these files and folders is to recreate the tree in the folder we want to move to and copy the files then delete the old location, which is not always allowed.  Sometimes if we move up the tree open another file and close it then try to move the folder or file it will move but not always.

Please help this is extremelly annoying and time consuming.

Kelley

Tuesday, December 21, 2010 4:14 PM

Answers

• Hi Kelley,

Thanks for the post!

From where to where you want to move the file and folders? A new storage?

I’m wondering which kind of storage are you using, is it EMC? Because  I saw a known issue with EMC Centera media. If so, please contact EMC for further support.

If not, I recommend you use the Process Monitor to capture the process when you try to move the file, you can refer to: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx

Regards,

Miya

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. | Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Miya Yao Thursday, December 30, 2010 6:13 AM
    Monday, December 27, 2010 8:49 AM