How to create bootable ISO from files RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I've got a linux distribution (in ISO file) which I need to unpack (using 7-zip for example), changing some files and building a bootable ISO from those files again. I've tried multiple approaches

e.g. this "https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/scriptcenter/New-ISOFile-function-a8deeffd/view/Discussions#content"

I was able to create the ISO but it won't boot up. Please help me out. Thanks

Wednesday, August 19, 2015 6:37 AM

Answers

• Hi Adam,

PowerISO or Alcohol120% should allow you make bootable ISO.

Regards,

Satyajit

Please “Vote As Helpful” if you find my contribution useful or “Mark As Answer” if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you.

• Marked as answer by AdamBednar Wednesday, August 19, 2015 1:50 PM
    Wednesday, August 19, 2015 11:50 AM

All replies

• I think to create a bootable image of an Linux OS you need to use Linux tools (e.g., like the 'dd' command).

wizend

Wednesday, August 19, 2015 9:35 AM
  • Hi Adam,

PowerISO or Alcohol120% should allow you make bootable ISO.

Regards,

Satyajit

Please “Vote As Helpful” if you find my contribution useful or “Mark As Answer” if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you.

• Marked as answer by AdamBednar Wednesday, August 19, 2015 1:50 PM
    Wednesday, August 19, 2015 11:50 AM
  • This is not a scripting issue and belongs in a Linux forum.

\_(ツ)_/

Wednesday, August 19, 2015 1:13 PM
  • it's not linux related, I just happened to build ISO with linux in it. For example http://serverfault.com/questions/715260/building-bootable-iso-using-mksisofs (my post) uses windows app.

Wednesday, August 19, 2015 1:49 PM
  • Sorry I should've stated that before but I need it in command line / powershell (so I can script it), thanks
    Wednesday, August 19, 2015 1:50 PM
  • Sorry I should've stated that before but I need it in command line / powershell (so I can script it), thanks

You must use Linux tools too create a bootable Linux image.  Linux images are not in Windows format.  If you search you will find many free tools for generating a Linux bootable image. 

\_(ツ)_/

Wednesday, August 19, 2015 2:09 PM
  • I searched and I found for Example WinIso which doesn't support command line. Have you find anything that can help me with that? Thanks a lot
    Wednesday, August 19, 2015 2:13 PM
  • Not a scripting question.  I recommend posting on a Linux forum.

\_(ツ)_/

Wednesday, August 19, 2015 2:15 PM