none
Can I access a network share on the domain with a non-domain computer?

Question

• Can I access a network share on the domain with a non-domain computer? I would connect the computer directly to the corporate network. 

For what reasons could this be blocked (firewall? policy? settings on server-side?) and what configuration is needed to make sure it is possible to access a network share with a non-domain computer?

Thanks already for your help!

Monday, June 13, 2016 11:22 AM

Answers

• You need a domain account (of course) and with that account you can access shares from a non-domain joined computer with the following syntax:

Net Use Z: Domain\Share (credentials)

Best regards, George

• Marked as answer by NoNamez92 Tuesday, June 14, 2016 9:06 AM
    Monday, June 13, 2016 11:37 AM
  • Hi NoNamez92,

According to your description, if you want to access domain share from a non-domain computer, please enable Guest account, assign Everyone group the permission to access the sharing folder and then add the Anonymous SID to the Everyone access token.

To enable anonymous access on a local workstation or server computer

1. Open Local Security Settings. Click Start, click Control Panel, double-click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Local Security Policy.
    2. In the console tree, double-click Local Policies, and then click Security Options.
    3. In the details pane, right-click Network access: Let Everyone permissions apply to anonymous users, and then click Properties.
    4. On the Local Security Settings tab, click Enabled, and then click OK.

Also I find a similar post with your problem, please refer to the link below.

https://www.experts-exchange.com/questions/28274164/How-to-configure-the-non-domain-computer-to-access-a-shared-folder-on-a-domain-computer.html

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Hope it will be helpful to you.

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, June 14, 2016 7:48 AM

All replies

• You need a domain account (of course) and with that account you can access shares from a non-domain joined computer with the following syntax:

Net Use Z: Domain\Share (credentials)

Best regards, George

Monday, June 13, 2016 11:37 AM
  • Hi NoNamez92,

According to your description, if you want to access domain share from a non-domain computer, please enable Guest account, assign Everyone group the permission to access the sharing folder and then add the Anonymous SID to the Everyone access token.

To enable anonymous access on a local workstation or server computer

1. Open Local Security Settings. Click Start, click Control Panel, double-click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Local Security Policy.
    2. In the console tree, double-click Local Policies, and then click Security Options.
    3. In the details pane, right-click Network access: Let Everyone permissions apply to anonymous users, and then click Properties.
    4. On the Local Security Settings tab, click Enabled, and then click OK.

Also I find a similar post with your problem, please refer to the link below.

https://www.experts-exchange.com/questions/28274164/How-to-configure-the-non-domain-computer-to-access-a-shared-folder-on-a-domain-computer.html

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Hope it will be helpful to you.

Tuesday, June 14, 2016 7:48 AM
  • Hi George & Carl, both your answers have been helpful. Thank you very much. Can I mark both as an answer?
    Tuesday, June 14, 2016 9:04 AM
  • Yes, you can mark multiple answers.

Best regards, George

Tuesday, June 14, 2016 9:05 AM
  • Hi NoNamez92,

Thank you for your reply. I’m grad to help you. If these replies could be helpful to you, it’s ok. Also it will be helpful to other community members who have same questions.

Best regards,

Carl Fan

Tuesday, June 14, 2016 9:10 AM