none
There is a view named &gantt chart in this project which cannot be overwritten RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I'm using Project Server 2007 SP2. While opening a plan, we are getting the following error

"There is a view named &gantt chart in this project which cannot be overwritten"

However, we are not getting the same error for other plan. Is there any changes to be done in the enterprise Global? How to rectify the error? Kindly help.

Thanks!

Wednesday, December 3, 2014 11:44 AM

All replies

• Hi,

This is a common error.

Please follow those instructions (require to have administrator rights).

http://robhardyuk.wordpress.com/2012/07/15/there-is-a-view-named-gantt-chart-in-this-project-which-cannot-be-overwritten/

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller |

• Proposed as answer by NomanSohail Thursday, April 28, 2016 10:40 AM
    Wednesday, December 3, 2014 12:42 PM
  • Sandhya987 --

In addition to Guillaume's excellent answer, you should know that this problem was not caused by the project manager.  The problem was caused solely by the actions of the Project Server administrator.  The Enterprise Global file is reserved for ONLY enterprise views, tables, filters, and groups.  For example, there is a default enterprise view named Enterprise Gantt Chart and there is a default enterprise table named Enterprise Entry.  The Project Server administrator should NEVER add local views to the Enterprise Global, such as the Gantt Chart, Resource Sheet, etc.

So, how did the Gantt Chart view end up in the Enterprise Global?  I doubt the Project Server administrator did this intentionally.  Instead, my guess is that he/she applied the regular Gantt Chart view while he/she had the Enterprise Global file open for editing.  If the Project Server administrator applies any local view (such as the Gantt Chart view) while he/she has the Enterprise Global file open for editing, Microsoft Project COPIES that view and its default table into the Enterprise Global file.  So, if he/she applies the Gantt Chart view while he/she has the Enterprise Global file open, Microsoft Project copies BOTH the Gantt Chart view AND the Entry table into the Enterprise Global file, thus polluting the Enterprise Global file with a local view and table.

To clean up the pollution, keep in mind that your Project Server administrator will need to delete all local view AND all local tables as well.  As the article indicates, as cited by Guillaume, the problem you are facing is a common one, so welcome to the club!  :)

Hope this extra helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Wednesday, December 3, 2014 3:30 PM
  • Hi Guillaume,

Thanks for your response.

We have edited the views in Enterprise global sometime back. One of our PM used an old enterprise template to create a plan and is getting the above error. We tried the instructions which you shared (changed to another view in the problematic plan) and I am getting the below error.

"The View Gantt Chart is in use and cannot be copied or deleted. Switch views and then try again"

Can you please help?

Thursday, December 4, 2014 10:03 AM
  • Hi Dale,

Thanks for your explanation.

We have edited the views in Enterprise global sometime back. One of our PM used an old enterprise template to create a plan and is getting the above error. We tried the instructions which Guillaume had shared (changed to another view in the problematic plan) and I am getting the below error.

"The View Gantt Chart is in use and cannot be copied or deleted. Switch views and then try again"

Can you please help?

Thursday, December 4, 2014 10:05 AM
  • This link does not work anymore. Does anyone have another how-to for the enterprise project template?

Thanks,

Monday, March 26, 2018 5:48 PM