Domain Share - access from workgroup PC RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone.

So we have machines that are in a workgroup (windows 2000 machines), who are looking to dump a backup image through their backup service account onto a share that is owned by the domain. The share is open to everyone full control with everyone under security settings having full control as well. the Guest account is disabled via GP on the domain servers due to our compliance laws. I have tried making a local admin account with the same credentials on both the workgroup and domain server. They can only connect to the share with a domain user account however being passed. Whats worse, is that the backup service runs under a modifiable service account. Is there a way to add a domain user account as an admin on the local workgroup pc? Meaning, can DOMAIN\BIGADMIN be added as an administrator of a local workgroup pc? That is the only way i can think of that we could do the backup using that administrator account so that it tries to store to the share via that account.

any thoughts? This is going to drive me nuts and unfortunately they will not join those pcs to the domain.

Thursday, April 1, 2010 9:43 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Yes you can use the domain credentials provided your workgroup clients has the relevant communication to Dns, wins ( netbios ) and your AD infra

But its a good practice to use network service account while authentication to domain systems.

• Proposed as answer by Meinolf Weber Saturday, April 3, 2010 1:15 PM
    • Marked as answer by Miles Zhang Monday, April 12, 2010 8:53 AM
    Friday, April 2, 2010 1:48 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Yes you can use the domain credentials provided your workgroup clients has the relevant communication to Dns, wins ( netbios ) and your AD infra

But its a good practice to use network service account while authentication to domain systems.

• Proposed as answer by Meinolf Weber Saturday, April 3, 2010 1:15 PM
    • Marked as answer by Miles Zhang Monday, April 12, 2010 8:53 AM
    Friday, April 2, 2010 1:48 AM
  • Hi,

Please feel free to let us know if the information was helpful to you.

Thanks,

Miles

Monday, April 5, 2010 2:38 AM