using microsoft office for mac on two machines? RRS feed

• Question

• Can I use the Office: mac 2008 on my new macbook if I am already using it on my desktop? Can I use it on two machines? Or do I have to buy a new download?
    Friday, November 9, 2012 9:32 PM

Answers

• Got it done. It turns out I was given the wrong information at the store where I bought the laptop. I actually have a three-use student and home Microsoft Office: Mac 2008 so had two more uses to use. The tech at the store was new and didn't even open the box with the DVD and I stupidly believed him even though when I looked inside I saw three stickers with numbers which meant to me that perhaps there were three uses. A very good man in Bangalore downloaded it all to my laptop yesterday over 30 minutes or so, and I now have my microsoft office for mac on my laptop. So this goes to show that we don't always get the right information from the stores. So now when I get a new desktop, if I do, I have one more download to use for Microsoft Office for mac. Thanks for responding.
    • Marked as answer by Max Meng Wednesday, November 28, 2012 7:04 AM
    Saturday, November 10, 2012 3:19 PM

All replies

• That all depends on which license you bought. If you bought a '1-pack', you can only install it on a single Mac. See: http://www.microsoft.com/mac/buy

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Saturday, November 10, 2012 3:06 AM
  • There are two issues here:

1. licensing

2. Office 2008 tries to check that the same license key is not already in use - if it is, the second copy may fail to start.

As far as I know,

a. there are licenses that only allow you to install one copy. In that case, you have to buy another copy/key.

b. there are licences that allow you to install on "desktop" and "portable", but only allow you to use one copy at a time (and only provide one key). In that case, you have to buy another copy/key if you want to use the two copies at the same time.

c. there are multi-key licences, which allow you to install and run more than one copy at the same time, but if you install more than one copy using the same key, you may encounter the problem described in (2) above.

For more reliable info., see

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/980967

and

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/959253

Finally, as a general rule, you'll probably find better support for Mac Office issues at Microsoft's "Community" site:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/mac/forum 

Peter Jamieson

Saturday, November 10, 2012 11:49 AM
  • Got it done. It turns out I was given the wrong information at the store where I bought the laptop. I actually have a three-use student and home Microsoft Office: Mac 2008 so had two more uses to use. The tech at the store was new and didn't even open the box with the DVD and I stupidly believed him even though when I looked inside I saw three stickers with numbers which meant to me that perhaps there were three uses. A very good man in Bangalore downloaded it all to my laptop yesterday over 30 minutes or so, and I now have my microsoft office for mac on my laptop. So this goes to show that we don't always get the right information from the stores. So now when I get a new desktop, if I do, I have one more download to use for Microsoft Office for mac. Thanks for responding.
    • Marked as answer by Max Meng Wednesday, November 28, 2012 7:04 AM
    Saturday, November 10, 2012 3:19 PM
  • In that case, it seems to me that you do have 3 licences and 3 keys (in fact your version sounds the same as mine), so all you should need to do is to use the same DVD to install each copy, but use (e.g.) key 1 on the first machine and key 2 on the second machine.

You shouldn't need to download, but if the download is a later version of the same edition of Office 2008 (with more recent updates than you have on the DVD), it should be OK to install from the download and use Key 2, and it will probably be faster than installing from the DVD then downloading each update (each one is quite large). When you get around to the 3rd copy, you should be able to start from the download you already have (assuming you kept it) and use Key 3.

Either way, you should ideally ensure that you have downloaded and applied all the updates (Office 2008 is currently at version 12.3.4, according to my copy of Word. You can find out by opening Word, say, then looking at Word->About Word.

Peter Jamieson

Saturday, November 10, 2012 4:12 PM
  • Peter, it is done. All the updates and everything. It was done remotely by microsoft because I have no DVD/CD player in the laptop. I have now version 12.3.4. I watched it download. How can I get off this forum so nobody else contacts me with what has already been rectified?
    Saturday, November 10, 2012 7:09 PM
  • Look for a link at the top left of your original post that says "Remove Alert" and click it if you find it. That doesn't remove you from these groups, but it may stop you receiving further messages in this conversation.

Peter Jamieson

Saturday, November 10, 2012 7:18 PM