System has a hard time booting RRS feed

• Question

• Upgraded a Win 7 to Win 10 all seemed good, Win 10 found new video driver (actually works better).

Programs all worked.

Checked for update ran those needed. Then next day (after turning off for the night, I turn off every night) ran a Window 7 Backup with system Image, took quite a while.

Machine worked fine for a few more hours, then I noticed some icons on the taskbar (like Chrome) would not work. Waited a while same issue so I re booted.

Now problems; would not shut down, had black screen with white cursor for two hours, then it shut down. On startup keep on saying no system with black screen.

I manually powered off then hit F10 gave me boot selection, I selected the main drive (there are two), “Windows could not fix errors”, I went to advanced options and did a system restore. All came up good.

Later checked Updates there was another (I do not know the name) ran the update all good, next day all good.

Then an automatic Windows 7 System backup ran, scheduled once a week. After that completed, I had the same problem as above. Would not boot, went through the same process after restore system booted.

Seems like the problem happens only after a Windows 7 Backup is done.

Looking at the event viewer I see:

Application:

ESENT ID 455 Logging Error

WinLogon Error 4005

Application Hang 1002 The program mmc.exe version 10.0.18362.1 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Security and Maintenance control panel. (I could not find “problem history” in the control panel)

System:

Critical 41 Kernel-Power

The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

Service Control Manager 7023

The Group Policy Client service terminated with the following error:

The specified module could not be found.

The PC seems to be up to date at this time.

The PC booted just fine this morning.

How can I track down the problem? It seems to only happen after a Windows 7 Backup is done, I run this backup each week.

Monday, August 5, 2019 12:02 PM

All replies

• Create a Windows 10 USB bootable media.

Change your device BIOS settings to start from the bootable media.

Start your computer with the bootable media to boot into the Windows 10 Setup.

Click the Next button.

Click the Repair your computer button 

Click the Troubleshoot button.

Click the Advanced options button.

Click the Command Prompt button.

In Command Prompt type the following commands and press the Enter key after each command:

Bootrec /fixMbr
    Bootrec /fixBoot
    Bootrec /ScanOS
    Bootrec /RebuildBcd
    Close Command Prompt.

Reboot your devices, and then, you should now be able to load Windows 10 again.

S.Sengupta,Microsoft MVP Windows and Devices for IT, Windows Insider MVP

Monday, August 5, 2019 12:47 PM
  • Are you saying I need to re install Windows 10 again?

I have tried the repair and troubleshoot but could not fix the issue

Monday, August 5, 2019 1:17 PM
  • I have tried the repair and troubleshoot but could not fix the issue. Without the commands
    Monday, August 5, 2019 1:18 PM
  • Hi,

Before we go further, I would like to confirm do you mean the Windows 7 backup runs in Windows 10 with problem?

Please check if the following issue is similar with yours, just for your reference:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/backup-and-restore-windows-7-no-longer-working-in/47e6e202-d245-4712-82da-f6093af11d0f

Best Regards,

Farena

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, August 6, 2019 5:57 AM
  • On a Windows 10 machine if you go to the control panel, under System and Security there is Backup and restore (windows 7)

That is what I used.

You commands did not work. I had the same issues.

So now in the process of rebuilding the machine with a clean install on Win 10

I just hope all my programs work!

Tuesday, August 6, 2019 6:48 PM
  • Hi,

Sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for your sharing current situation here.

If there is anything else we can do for you, please feel free to post in the forum.

Best Regards,

Farena

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, August 7, 2019 6:17 AM