none
Import Group Policy from 2008 R2 to 2012

Question

• Hi,

We are moving to a different cloud provider and upgrading from Server 2008 R2 to Server 2012. I backed up the GPO's on 2008 R2 server via PowerShell using -All and copied them over to our new 2012 server. I tried to restore the group policy setting via GPMC but when I selected the file I had copied over, there were no GPO's to import. 

Is it possible to do this? Or does 2012 not recognise older GPO settings?

Thanks in advance

Friday, May 01, 2015 2:50 PM

Answers

• Are you extending your current DC with new Windows 2012 DC, or will you be rebuilding the AD from scratch ? The Group Policies copy themselves to each new Domain Controller, regardless of DC OS version, if you adding new DC into the environment.

If you creating new AD from scratch then you either have to import one by one, manually, or use Migration table Editor. To import manually, create number of empty Group Polices on the new AD, then right click  on the empty policy and choose "Import Settings". Find the policy you want to import, rename the policy accordingly, once you done importing it.

Import Settings from a backup policy

Here is how to use the Migration table editor:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc771452.aspx

• Marked as answer by Sean Gregory Tuesday, May 05, 2015 1:01 PM
    Friday, May 01, 2015 6:56 PM

All replies

• Are you extending your current DC with new Windows 2012 DC, or will you be rebuilding the AD from scratch ? The Group Policies copy themselves to each new Domain Controller, regardless of DC OS version, if you adding new DC into the environment.

If you creating new AD from scratch then you either have to import one by one, manually, or use Migration table Editor. To import manually, create number of empty Group Polices on the new AD, then right click  on the empty policy and choose "Import Settings". Find the policy you want to import, rename the policy accordingly, once you done importing it.

Import Settings from a backup policy

Here is how to use the Migration table editor:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc771452.aspx

• Marked as answer by Sean Gregory Tuesday, May 05, 2015 1:01 PM
    Friday, May 01, 2015 6:56 PM
  • > copied them over

How did you copy? The backup contains hidden files that are essential :)

Greetings/Grüße, Martin

Mal ein gutes Buch über GPOs lesen?
    Good or bad GPOs? - my blog…
    And if IT bothers me - coke bottle design refreshment (-:
    Monday, May 04, 2015 9:23 AM
  • It's a brand new DC on a new domain. So I literally backed them up, right clicked > copy, pasted on to my own desktop, then RDP'd to the 2012 DC then pasted them. Probably not ideal! I'll try the manually migrating each individually.
    Tuesday, May 05, 2015 8:12 AM
  • We have set up a brand new server and rebuilt AD. I'll take a look at the Migration table editor but have a feeling I'll be copying them all over manually. Thanks for your reply!
    Tuesday, May 05, 2015 8:13 AM