Disable Media Bypass for exchange UM? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

From what I am seeing it looks like calls to exchange UM always do media bypass (even if media bypass is disabled globally). Is it correct? And is there a way to force media bypass for all UM calls (calls reaching UM to leave a voicemail or direct calls to Subscriber or AutoAttendant)?

Thanks,

Gael

Thursday, February 19, 2015 11:43 AM

Answers

• ... I can't think of a simple scenario where you can force the calls through the mediation and without an edge, but I'm not an absolute expert here.  It's worth a try to disable communication except from Lync roles and see what the outcome is. 

That said, you might be able to take advantage of this feature if nothing else works:  New-CSVoiceMailReroutingConfiguration  https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg425849.aspx

It's basically for rerouting calls to UM through the PSTN if direct access to the Exchange server can't be reached.  It's meant for branch offices who have local Lync services, but no local Exchange services during a WAN outage.  But your connectivity wouldn't be completely lost is the issue. The front end would still be able to communicate, and signaling would flow this direction, only media flows from the client.  You'd also have to cut off communication from the front end.

That last one is a brainstorm and a last resort, you should be fine without it, but you may need an edge.

Please remember, if you see a post that helped you please click "Vote As Helpful" and if it answered your question please click "Mark As Answer". SWC Unified Communications

This forum post is based upon my personal experience and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

• Proposed as answer by Eason Huang Monday, February 23, 2015 3:07 AM
    • Marked as answer by Eason Huang Monday, March 2, 2015 2:45 AM
    Thursday, February 19, 2015 4:41 PM

All replies

• Are you sure? Call to UM or attendants from clients will have a media flow direct from client to UM, this is by design. You're seeing media flow direct from the PSTN gateway to the UM server bypassing the mediation role?

Please remember, if you see a post that helped you please click "Vote As Helpful" and if it answered your question please click "Mark As Answer". SWC Unified Communications

This forum post is based upon my personal experience and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Thursday, February 19, 2015 12:22 PM
  • Sorry I was not clear.

Yes I see traffic from clients to UM but I would like traffic from clients to go to mediation and then to UM because we don't want to allow direct access to the exchange servers by the clients. So actually I want to disable media bypass for UM.

Thanks,

Gael

Thursday, February 19, 2015 2:19 PM
  • I understand now.  That's not media bypass.  Media bypass specifically refers to PSTN traffic.  Internally media flows peer to peer, this is by design.  There may be a workaround, but it wouldn't involve the mediation server, it would involve the edge.  I believe, but haven't had to deal with the scenario yet, that if clients cannot directly communicate with each other due to firewalls, they can bounce media off of the edge role.  I suspect the same may be true for Exchange UM.  Have you attempted to block access yet?

Thursday, February 19, 2015 3:20 PM
  •  thanks for the response! I only have a test environment without edge server for now (only one standard edition server running all services). I will try blocking client access to exchange but I guess this won't redirect traffic to the mediation server on the SE server?

Do you have any pointers explaining how the fallback to the edge server works when clients cannot directly communicate? I cannot find any information about it.

Thanks!

Thursday, February 19, 2015 4:17 PM
  • ... I can't think of a simple scenario where you can force the calls through the mediation and without an edge, but I'm not an absolute expert here.  It's worth a try to disable communication except from Lync roles and see what the outcome is. 

That said, you might be able to take advantage of this feature if nothing else works:  New-CSVoiceMailReroutingConfiguration  https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg425849.aspx

It's basically for rerouting calls to UM through the PSTN if direct access to the Exchange server can't be reached.  It's meant for branch offices who have local Lync services, but no local Exchange services during a WAN outage.  But your connectivity wouldn't be completely lost is the issue. The front end would still be able to communicate, and signaling would flow this direction, only media flows from the client.  You'd also have to cut off communication from the front end.

That last one is a brainstorm and a last resort, you should be fine without it, but you may need an edge.

• Proposed as answer by Eason Huang Monday, February 23, 2015 3:07 AM
    • Marked as answer by Eason Huang Monday, March 2, 2015 2:45 AM
    Thursday, February 19, 2015 4:41 PM